A Hero to the People

Zelnite POV

-monologue-

So much poverty, so much corruption... The tyrant princess couldn't care less about the people of this kingdom. One day I will rob her blind, give it to the poor people who are in need. Families can't afford to feed their children anymore or even themselves. Fights break out everyday over the scarcest bits of food lying around, small time robberies of the store owners who can barely afford to keep business going it gets worse everyday and bit by bit the kingdom will tear itself apart...
-

'why look so glum partner?'

I turn slightly, its Jake of course. I found him lingering around some hidden treasure, The ghost will go insane, huge and golden with a wide mouth and rampage if he does not eat treasure. I found the treasure and immediately ran for it. He spotted me, being an inexperienced thief all i could do is throw some zel at him and run away with only a handful. But i turned at the sound of him crying. That rampageous state must take control of his consciousness. Some of the zel must have made its way inside his huge mouth. He reverted back to being a little jewel ghost. Slightly shimmering, i watched frozen still as he... A ghost crawled weakly towards some coins.

He looked at me and all he spoke..

"Please help me!"

I had to help him, he was crying... Desperate, he was fighting off the monster. He stuck around with me ever since as my partner i named him Jake.

Jake is the name of my little brother who was burned alive for playing with magic out of a spell book. He found it wondering the woods in a stray witches hut.

Of course to keep the beast at bay he would eat some jewelry or gold every few days. We do keep our own chest just for him taken from nobles and corrupt people across the land.

"Don't worry about it Jakie, i mean I'm just sick of living like this, under the golden boot of the rich"

Jake thought to himself for a second then burst out

"lets rob the royal palace!"

I looked away

"its impossible..."

Jake floated over to me

"YOU! are the most legendary of thieves, we have ripped of hundreds of nobles... How can you say this is impossible!"

Angrily i raised my voice

"BECAUSE, the palace is surrounded by royal guards at all times. All rooms with windows have patrolling guards everywhere outside in the halls. The treasure she hoards is below ground guarded by a huge golem enslaved and very, very angry. Even the guards must be careful dumping the mountains of treasure. Guards have been killed and even prisoners have been punished and thrown into the golden pit to be brutally killed and made an example for those who dare oppose the princess. But that treasure is nothing to the value of the Jewel that sits as the centrepiece of her crown. Its said to possess magical powers, the princess being unable to tap into its potential. Even then her personal guard are the toughest of knights in the land. Legendary in their own name devoted to lay down their life for the princess."

I finished explaining the dilemma and looked over at Jake. HE WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE.

With a blank expression

"You, are the Chivalrous Thief Zelnite, Legendary to the people and feared by those corrupted at the heart."

He didn't listen to what i had to say...

"Look, partner we can do this together. I believe in you and the people rely on you, the princess is well aware of your threat. So much that she gathered some of the most powerful knights to protect her and captured a massive beast to protect her treasures. She is waiting for you, far be it for us to disappoint."

I couldn't help but smile at that... 2 years we have been at this. We have had our fair share of close calls and have grown really powerful. I don't mean in general just powerful... Ever since i found Jake his power had influenced me, as well I've become a lot faster and stronger. My reflexes, accuracy at its peak and I've become very agile.

"What the hell... Lets do it"