Savannah

Frost and Snow. Chapter 5

Savannah

All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2014

~~~~~~~~

It didn't take me too long to reach the house. The address was one of the nicer neighborhoods, most likely an upper middle class one. I nervously paced down the street, earning me some negative attention from the neighbors but I ignored them. They were just being nosy and I was just being too worried over nothing

My stomach was turning as I finally garnered the courage to go to her house. Her lawn was nice and well manicured, there were red and yellow flowers in the window boxes along with some in a garden below. There was a nice, cobblestone path that I was on currently, that led to a spacious, white porch that swung around the house.

I was probably sweating as I cautiously knocked on the door. At first, there was no answer so I knocked again more forcefully. This time, a small girl looking to be about eight, answered the door smiling cheerfully.

"Hi, I'm Amanda! How can I help you?" She smiled as she said that. She looked nothing like me, she was tan with a cute, small nose and very Hispanic features. Nothing in her was me, or what my mother should be.

I smiled down hopefully, she may take after her dad or be adopted or I could have just gotten the address wrong. I looked at the number and confirmed it was the correct home. This is where Alyssa is supposed to live.

"I'm looking for Alyssa Hjelm, does she live her honey?" I leaned down and gave her my best smile.

She nodded eagerly and nodded, "Mommy! There's a girl here looking for you!"

She continued to smile and quickly asked, "What's your name?"

"Gwen." I told her as her mother stepped up to the door. She looked very different than her daughter, rather she looked like me.

"Hello Gwen, why don't you come in. We have a lot to talk about." Alyssa began to lead me through her nice house when she noticed Amanda following, "Amanda, can you give us some time alone."

"Why! We never have anyone over!" Amanda whined and did her best to beg but Alyssa shook her head.

"No, the grownups need to talk alone. Maybe when we're done Gwen will play with you a bit. Okay?"

"Fine but be quick." She pouted for a moment but soon skipped away muttering something about getting out her 'newest and bestest dolls to play with'.

Alyssa led me to her living room and shut the door behind us. It was a nice room, two dark green couches with a light blue on the walls. There was a nice sized TV directly above with a Wii and stacks of video games I could only assume were Amanda's.

I sat down directly across from Alyssa. I was a bit stunned when an older woman made her way in and placed two cups of coffee with milk and sugar on the side down on the coffee table. Turning to Alyssa, I gave her an incredulous look as if asking what that had been about but she just smiled and shook her head.

"She's a friend of the family. Her husband died not too long ago and she was looking for something to do so she watched Amanda like a nanny while I work and does some housework and cooking. That works for me because she's fine, I pay her a little and she's recently moved in so I guess I provide food and boarding as well. Annabelle was feeling really lonely, especially because she has no children, so I guess her house just felt too empty."

"That's really nice of you." I commented but she just smiled and waved it away like it was nothing.

Her eyes grew serious and the ends of her mouth turned down, "No I think it's time to speak about what you came here for."