{six}

GOLDSTEIN RESIDENCE SITTING ROOM

Jacob stumbles and Queenie frowns. "You need to sit down, honey." He stumbles again and falls backward onto the couch. "Hey- He hasn't eaten all day. And- aw that's rough,- he didn't get the money for his bakery. You bake, honey? I love to cook," Queenie's words interrupting each other, reading his mind. Newt observes Queenie before speaking up with his findings.

"You're a Legilimens?" Queenie nods, "Uh-huh, yeah. But I always have trouble with your kind. Brits. It's the accent." Atlas knew that that wasn't the reason. It was because even though the Americans were certainly more strict with their magic, the British were more guarded mentally speaking. "You know how to read minds?" Jacob asks, seemingly appalled. "Aw, don't worry, honey. Most guys think what you was thinking, first time they see me," her accent showing on certain words. She waved her wand at him teasingly. "Now, you need food."

Atlas turns to see Newt spotting a Billywig flit by outside the window. She grabs his hand instinctively, calming him. Her best friend would always calm down with touch and it seemed to work with Newt too. "Don't worry, Newt. We'll find them soon. Just don't do anything rash before we do." By the time Atlas realizes that Newt is not next to her, she spots him by the door, reaching for the handle. Atlas groans.

"Hey, Mr. Scamanader, you prefer pie of strudel?" Everyone turns to him and he flushes, embarrassed. "I really don't have a preference," Newt says. Tina looks at him with a look of disappointment and hurt. Queenie's attention is already elsewhere when Atlas tugs on his sleeve. "I said not to do anything rash," her own accent accenting certain words. It made Newt become aware of his own accent in his reply. "I didn't do anything, Atlas." She gave him a look. "Yet anyways."

Tina lights a few candles and dinner is ready. "Well, sit down Mr. Scamander, we're not going to poison you." Atlas rolls her eyes before nudging Newt forward. He takes a seat opposite Jacob and in between Tina and Atlas. "Well, let's eat!"

Half an hour later, the latch on Newt's case pops open. He reaches down and pushes it shut. Atlas was glad she had just recently gotten her's fixed as she left her bag on the couch. "The job ain't that glamorous. I mean, I spend most days making coffee, unjinxing the john." A pause. "Tina's the career girl." She pauses to read Jacob's mind again. "Nah. We're orphans. Ma and Pa died of dragon pox when we were kids. Aw-" she cuts herself off to read his mind. "You're sweet. But we got each other!" That's how the conversation has been going lately.

"Could you stop reading my mind for a second?" Jacob speaks up. "Don't get me wrong - I love it." Queenie giggles, completely captivated by Jacob. Atlas felt bad for what was going to happen to Jacob. He would eventually forget about Queenie and the wizarding world. It's just how it went in America. "Oh, you slay me!" Queenie's shouts of glee brought Atlas back into focus. "I ain't never really talked to a No-Maj before."

"Really?" Jacob questions. They gaze into each other's eyes. Atlas awkwardly fiddles with the tablecloth under the table. Newt grabs her hand and she looks up, gazing into his eyes. He asks if she's okay and she responds with a small head nod. She picks up her plate and moves to wash it with her wand. Tina gets up to help her clean. They were to take an early night and tomorrow they would look for Newt's lost creatures.

-----
THANK YOU FOR 1K READS OML ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS