Chapter 3

I've been working for Braxton for a week now. It's been fun. He's really kind. So is Charlie.

Victoria is just the sweetest little girl ever. She asks me to play with her everyday. She even brings out the pouty face. Who could say no to that? Certainly not me. It's just too irresistible.

I still haven't called my parents. I know the longer I wait, the more upset they'll be. I just can't bring myself to call them. I know they'll try to convince me to go home to them. I just can't do that. I can't risk Mike finding me.

I'm in the middle of making lunch for everybody when there's a knock on the door. It's probably Lane. He's supposed to be coming sometime today. Braxton told me that one of Lane's other friends fiancé left him for no reason. No note. Nothing. Said there was no good reason for her to end things. Doesn't that just suck?

When I open the door, there's a woman about my age standing there. I've never seen her before. Before I can say anything, she beats me to it.

"Who are you?" She sounds disgusted.

"I'm Piper."

"Why are you here?"

"I'm the maid."

"Figures."

What the hell does that mean? Oh well. Can't let her get to me.

"And you are?"

"Hailey. I'm Braxton's girlfriend. Where is he?"

"He's out working. He should be coming in for lunch any minute now. Would you like o come in and wait?"

"Yeah. I didn't come all this way for nothing." She brushes past me. Can you say rude?

I go back to the kitchen to finish lunch while she sits her rude ass on the couch. She needs to show some respect when she comes into someone else's home. What if the roles were reversed? I can guarantee that if it were her house, she'd have said something to the person.

The door the room just off the kitchen opens. Braxton and Charlie walk in. Charlie comes over and pecks my cheek. We're not together or anything. He just always does it. It's both annoying and hilarious.

"Braxton, there's someone here to see you."

"Really? Where?"

"Living room."

"Okay. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

He leaves and Charlie looks curious.

"Who's here for him?"

"She said her name is Hailey. His girlfriend."

"This ought to be fun to watch." He leaves the room without another word. What did he mean this should be fun?

I'm interrupted once again when Tori comes bounding into the room. She's carrying her favorite doll.

"Hi, sweetie."

"Hi."

"You hungry?"

"Yeah."

"Okay."

I help her sit in the chair. Then I fix her a plate of the chicken I made. She seems to enjoy it.

"I thirsty."

"Okay, sweetie. You want some juice?"

"Uh huh."

I set the juice in front of her.

"Tank ou."

"You're welcome."

I'm making my own plate when Charlie comes up beside me. He pecks my cheek. Then whispers in my ear.