Putting the Best Foot Forward

• Dedicated to RikoJasmine

Chapter 6: Best Foot Forward

~.~.~.~.~.

~.~.~.~.~.

Haruhiko mutely set his cell phone down on the table. The slight 'click' of plastic and wood meeting sounded rather loud in the silence of the sitting room.

The Usami's eyes were narrowed in concentrated thought, staring off at nothing in particular. A hand rubbed distractedly against his chin as he contemplated the newest, crucial— and most startling—piece of information he'd just learned regarding Misaki Takahashi.

"Akihiko likes your girl, too, Haruhiko-san!" Isaka had excitedly informed him via phone only minutes ago, sounding more like a gossiping housewife than a concerned friend. "Just thought I'd give you a heads up! Haha, I never expected Chibi-tan to even know Akihiko, let alone be someone who could actually get a smile out of him…!"

Haruhiko certainly hadn't expected it, either. Once Isaka had finished his enthusiastic retelling of the encounter with the pair at a downtown restaurant, Haruhiko had just hung up; he'd been too shocked at even the concept of Akihiko and Misaki uncoincidentally being in the same place together—together!—to say anything at all.

He leaned back in his armchair, a sliver of light flickering across the surface of his glasses as he glared intensely at a dark corner of the room. His frown deepened as he pondered the new obstacle in his relationship with Misaki Takahashi, the unexpected monkey wrench now standing between him and the object of his affections.

How is it that you know Akihiko, Misaki…?

He was sorely tempted to pick up his phone again and call the girl that instant to ask that very question, but Haruhiko reeled himself in at the last minute. He'd promised himself that he'd let Misaki make the next move, as he could not otherwise move further in his pursuit without any feedback to his courting (or so he'd been advised by a dating book he'd idly scanned through once).

Patience is a virtue. The words rolled around his head over and over again, but Haruhiko couldn't help but feel that it was rather useless advice for his current position.

Isaka had assured him with upbeat confidence that Misaki would call him with her response soon enough, and while Haruhiko was aware that the managing director wasn't the most reliable person on Earth, all he could do was wait and hope that it was true. The anticipation was tortuous; he wanted her with him at that very moment, a notion that he no longer had the strength to question or deny.

He'd already given up questioning his fascination with the girl. All that was left was to bring her to his side, to convince her to be with him always.

The man's mind was racing, filing through numerous memories of Misaki and their friendly conversations, attempting to pinpoint any instances where she'd mentioned his younger brother. All Haruhiko could recall was right after he'd introduced himself a long time ago, where she'd simply asked him if he was related to Akihiko Usami. At the time, he'd just assumed that she was a fan of his writing and made his views of the novelist known. He couldn't bear to hear his name pass through her smiling lips.

At the moment, though, Haruhiko began to consider that she'd only asked because she might have already known Akihiko back then. Perhaps she never mentioned him again because he'd reacted in a negative way?

He momentarily paused in his thoughts. Almost hesitantly, a voice in the back of his head questioned, What if that were true? What would you do then?

The corner of Haruhiko's mouth twitched as a hand rose from its position on the arm rest to wearily rub at his temple.

Isaka had told him that Akihiko and Misaki were not dating, but he needed to know the exact boundaries to where Misaki's relationship with his younger brother reached. He and Akihiko had never gotten along, not even in their childhood, so he didn't trust him even the slightest. His distaste for all that was his brother was certainly not disguised, and he saw nothing redeemable in him.