Chapter 2: Natasha the Nightmare

I turn the lock on my locker slowly. I don't want to go into the classroom. I've been so worried about perfecting my solo that I completely forgot to study for my science test. I don't know the parts of a microscope at all. When I finally gather my things and go inside, Mr. Dawson is handing out the text. It's a fill in the blank test that shows the microscope to label the parts. I feel trapped. The long part holding everything up... That's the holder, right? That doesn't sound right. I write it down anyway. The platform that holds the microscope from the bottom... The platform? No. That's not it. But the best I can do is guess. I jot it down. I finished the test and take it to Mr. Dawson with my knees shaking. Once he has it, I rush back to my seat before he reads my answers and open my book, but I can't focus on the story. All I can focus on is the sound of my teacher's pen hitting my paper. Swipe, swipe. Swipe, swipe. I sit quietly and try not to look as nervous as I feel. I feel my heart pounding in my chest. Boom, boom. Boom, boom. "Maddie, you got a one hundred." I snap my head up. "Sabrina, you got a one hundred." "Danny, you got a one hundred." Mr. Dawson kept calling out names. Everyone got a one hundred. Then he stopped. "Avea Carson?" He paused. "See me after class." A collective "oooooh" echoed in the classroom. I put my head down on my desk and hid myself from the whispering and snickering class. When the class ends, I approach Mr. Dawson's desk cautiously. "Avea." His stare feels like a million icicles hurling into my eyes. He hands me my paper. A huge red zero is circled right in the middle of my paper. Tears begin gathering in my eyes. I look down, not wanting to cry in front of my teacher. Don't you dare cry Avea. Do not cry. A tear falls from my eye. Darn it. I don't want Mr. Dawson to see. I run.
I run out of Mr. Dawson's classroom, through the hall, down the stairs, and into the restroom. Tears are spilling down my cheeks now. I try to sniff, but I'm shuddering so hard that I can't take a full breath in. I close myself in the stall and just sit there bawling. Suddenly, I hear the restroom door swing open. I try my best to dry up my tears and be silent. I hear a voice. "Did you hear that Avea Carson failed her microscope test?" I widen my eyes. How could she know? I tiptoe to the door and peer through the slim crack. "Yeah, the one in choir who can't sing. She got a zero! Yes, I'm serious. Isn't that hilarious?" Natasha! Natasha Harris is the meanest girl in my choir class. I'm pretty sure she hates me. Her frizzy black ponytail lifts up and falls down with every step she takes. "And if she fails science, that spot on America's Got Talent is all mine. I know! Well of course it already is. But, you know." Natasha pushes open the door. "Everyone knows about how she ran out of Mr. Dawson's room bawling. It must've been hilarious. I wish I could've seen!" How could everyone already know? It was ten minutes ago! I hear the door slam shut and cautiously walk out of the restroom. I sprint down the hallway and out the doors of the school. I jump on my bicycle and pedal home. I burst through the front door of my house and run straight up to my room. I throw myself on my bed and allow myself to cry. What do I do? How do I beat Natasha? I dry my eyes and just think.