The Price of Information

As a child, I never expected to sleep under the same roof with a man my family considered an enemy. I never expected to be kicked out of my house either. But sitting infront of Antonio, listening to him talk about a party he'd been forced to attend, I realised despite everything that happened, I couldn't continue to live in the past wallowing in self pity. I had to pick myself up. And that was what I was going to do.

"I watched you, you know," he said suddenly, "even when you were in Morocco. I had my men watching you."

"You were stalking me?"

"I couldn't help it. I needed to keep you safe. Especially with how innocent you were."

"You... I don't know what to say."
I paced back and forth.

All this time, and I never knew someone was watching my every move. Uncle Vincentè was right. I was a naive little brat.

"You're upset," he said.

"What do you expect? I've just been told that during all my years abroad, I was being stalked by... by... you!"

"Calm down Irene. You are blowing this out of proportion."

I breathed in deep and counted to ten.

"You're right. There's no need to get upset. What's done is done."

He run his hand through his hair.

"There is something important I want to share with you."

I turned to him.

"What is it?"

"You might want to sit down for this."

I sat down on the chair.
"Tell me."

"Not yet."

"What do you mean by 'not yet'?"

"Exactly what it means. At least not until you've agreed to my terms and condition."

I sat back on the chair infront of him and placed my hands on his thighs. I loved the feel of his muscles tensing up beneath the expensive fabric.

"What are those terms and conditions of yours?"

"I want a date with you," he said.

"You're blackmailing me," I said.

He smirked.

"Little mouse, I blackmail everyone. So, what do you say? Yes or no?"

"No," I said. "I think you need me a lot more than you let on. Why else would you ask me out on a date."

"Irene, humour me. Just once and I'll tell you something that'll change your life as you know it."

He leaned forward.

"You asked me for the heads of your father's killers and that is exactly what I'm going to give to you. But I want something in return. I like you. I want to date you. You want revenge and I'm the only one who can give it to you."

I raised an eyebrow at him. If this was the price of information, then why not? I'll take it. Maybe it'll even draw me close to my father's killer in the process.

"When is the date?"

"Friday evening at 7:00. I'll have Claudia take you shopping tomorrow."

I stood from the chair and walked to the door. His hand reached out and pulled me against his hard frame. He placed a kiss on my forehead.

"Thank you," he whispered.

"Keep your thanks to yourself, Antonio. You're a fucking bastard."

"I know."

I slammed the door behind me and traced my steps back to my room.

I pulled out my phone and stared at it wondering if I should call mother. I threw it back on the bed. No. It was only Wednesday. Maybe after Friday.

Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it.