Oak, Rowan, Birch, and Holly

Start from the beginning

"Yes, Minnie," the Prewetts chorused.

"Come along, Miss Evans," McGonagall said as she turned and guided James toward the door, Lily trailing after. They took the stairs into the yard and when they'd got a few steps away from the Shrieking Shack, McGonagall took hold on Lily's hand and they disapparated outside the gates of Hogwarts on the other side of the village. With barely a pause, McGonagall guided them up to the gates, letting go of Lily's hand to draw her wand from her billowing robes.

She'd intended to open the locks, but Hagrid was waiting by the gates and had them open before she could. He watched as Lily, McGonagall, and James came through and closed them, looking after them anxiously. "Is ev'rythin' alrigh', Professor?" Hagrid asked nervously, his giant keyring jingling in his hands as he worried the hoop through his fingers.

McGonagall replied, "We will get everything taken care of, Rubeus, you needn't worry."

"It ain't true, then, what they're sayin' 'round the castle? That Maryrose Jenkins is --?" Hagrid asked, fear in his eyes.

McGonagall's jaw quivered. "I am sorry, Hagrid. But it seems that the rumors are true. Hogwarts has suffered a very great loss this day."

Hagrid's sobs could be heard echoing across the grounds, even as he drew out a handkerchief that looked like it could be a bed sheet.

Professor McGonagall walked them across the grounds to the entrance doors. Sirius, Remus, Peter, and Jasper were waiting just inside the doors. Jasper was pacing nervously as the other three sat clustered about each other on the end of the steps. The moment McGonagall entered the castle, Jasper hurried over to Lily, who dropped James's hand for the first time since the Shrieking Shack, and he caught her up in a tight hug, squeezing her tight to his chest.

Sirius, Remus, and Peter stood up as McGonagall let Lily stay with Jasper and started toward the stairs with James.

"He is going to the hospital wing," McGonagall said, and she looked at the three of them, especially Sirius, "This boy needs rest. If I hear any of you have disturbed him, I will be most displeased."

Remus reached out and squeezed James's shoulder with his palm. "We'll be with you in spirit, mate," he said.

James nodded.

Peter squeaked, "Feel better James," as McGonagall pulled him away.

Sirius turned and followed after them just the same, completely ignoring what Minnie had just told him, trotting along about three feet behind. She waited until they'd got to the third floor before McGonagall said, "Mr. Black, if you're so blatantly going to disregard my request, at least come up here and assist me."

He hustled to join them, coming up to James's side and putting his arm 'round his mate to support his weight and McGonagall allowed her arm to slide from James's shoulders, letting Sirius help him, and led the way to the hospital wing. Sirius looked up into James's face, "Gonna be alright, mate," he said thickly.

James nodded.

In the hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey clucked her tongue and set James into a corner bed. Across from him was Regulus Black, already asleep, having had a horrible anxiety attack in the the hallway when they'd told McGonagall what happened. Sirius helped James into the bed and tucked him in under the blankets as Madam Pomfrey scuttled over with a large bottle of the sleeping draught. James looked over at her as she poured a heavy dose of it out into a cup and he asked, "Can you make me forget? Make me forget it all ever happened? Change the past?"

"I cannot," Madam Pomfrey said, "But I can give you dreams and your body will heal and with a healed body you'll be better equipped to begin the mending of your soul." She smiled sadly and held out the little cup of draught. "Here you are."