Chapter Six: Jon

"Children! The Familton is gonna hang out in the breakroom at the theater for a while. You wanna come?" Lin called from the living room. Angie and I looked at each other excitedly, scrambled to our feet, and darted to the front door. We must've looked like kids as we struggled to cram our shoes onto our feet, because Lin was restraining his laughter. The entire ride to the theater was filled with Angie and I talking about the crazy things the cast members would do. Upon arrival, the entire cast was waiting for us outside the back doors. Anthony Ramos ran up to the car, whispered something in Angie's ear, and then walked back with her, Lin and I just behind him. I guess this is normal? We all trooped through the doors and inside the breakroom, and settled into leisurely places. Angie and I took a couch in the corner. It was nice watching everyone talk and laugh so easily. It really was a family in itself. Reneé and Oak chatted at a table while Leslie Anthony, and Jasmine endured Daveed's latest rant about Pier 1, and Lin and Pippa tried to stop Thayne from stealing all the cookies. Christopher and Jon busted out singing random lyrics  on a few occasions. Without warning, Anthony snuck over to Angie and ripped her off the couch, dashing up the stairs with her. She turned back at me, giggling her apologies. Lin roared with laughter at the latest kidnapping of his daughter, and gave chase with Pippa, Jasmine, Leslie, Thayne, and Christopher hot on his heels. Only Reneé, Oak, Jon, and Daveed remained. Daveed simply walked over to Reneé and Oak, and joined their conversation. That left Jon and I by ourselves. I didn't look away from him fast enough, and he smiled and come over by me.
"May I sit down, Small Child?"
I nodded a tiny little nod. He took Angie's place next to me. I could tell we were both feeling awkward, but he spoke first.
"So, what's you're favorite color?" he asked. I almost laughed. It was a bit of an odd question in my opinion. I raised an eyebrow.
"You want to know?" I asked in suspicion. He looked me directly in the eye. The contact almost burned me, because I was so anxious.
"Of course." He smiled. "I require a specific color."
I heaved a deep breath.
"Emerald green. Not a dark, greyish emerald green, but kind of like the color a maple leaf turns when you hold it up to the sun."
He gave me a pleased look. "That's a very nice color. What's your favorite song?"
That one was easy.
"'Wait For It' from Hamilton! It's so powerful."
He grinned. "Not any of the King George songs?"
I frowned. I didn't mean to insult him or anything.
"I'm sorry, Mr. Groff, I do like the King George songs, too."
He stared at me, baffled.
"Small Child? It's okay! I don't mind at all that you like 'Wait For It'! It's a wonderful song. And there's no need to be formal. Call me Jon. Or Groffsauce. Either works. That alright?"
I cracked a grin, relaxing a little.
"Good. And is it okay if I call you 'Small Child'? I didn't really clear it with you. It's just that you're small and....well a child."
I crossed my arms and turned up my nose in fake irritation.
"I am not. But you can call me Small Child."
"Awesome! May I hug you, Small Child?"
I hesitated. Was that okay? Was I allowed to hug someone I barely knew? Honestly, I have no idea how life works. I shrugged.
"Sure, I guess."
He grinned again, and then wrapped his arms around my small frame, draping his chin over the top of my head. My face got smushed into his chest a little. It was really weird for me...so I...hugged him back? He felt really warm, and I felt kind of...safe? Like I could fall asleep then and there. I don't know, it was really new and weird, so I gently tugged myself away. Reneé, Oak, and Daveed were gazing at us in awe with dropped jaws.
"She hugged you...she won't even speak to the rest of us!" Reneé gasped in jealousy and disbelief.
Jon placed a hand on my shoulder, staring Reneé down.
"My Small Child."
I giggled behind my hand. There was a loud crashing noise as a heck of a lot of people thundered down the stairs at once, Pippa in the lead with a hysterically laughing Angie holding her hand.
"Pippa!" Lin bellowed through his smile. "Give me the child!"
"No!" Anthony chimed in. "Give me the child!"
Pippa and Angie exchanged mischievous expressions before dodging around the crowd and dashing out onto the stage. Everyone followed, Jon and I included. But not out onto the stage of course. We stopped at the fridge, raided it, locked all the doors after the cast, and quietly ate our acquired snacks while Thayne pounded on the door and begged for us to not eat his cookies.
Hey guys! God, I'm tired. This was a really happy chapter for me to write, even though I think it was really jumpy and shakey. I'm in a super good mood now. So, this chapter is dedicated to SatellizerElBriget for being so devoted. I would dedicate it to flyingthroughthewind, but she know's I'll kill her if she doesn't read it constantly. Ciao!