Chapter 3

Audrey's POV

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock blaring in my ear. Great. It was Monday, and I had to go to school. Also, to top it all off, I had to go to my dads. This should be fun. I think sarcastically to myself. How could my life even come down to this? The only thing I could do was hide, and I was tired of hiding. I wish I could show who I really was. Be the happy kid in the movies. But this was reality, and I could never be myself. I would be bullied too much. Was it even worth it in the end to try to be someone your not? Who am I kidding, of course it was. That's the reason I started failing all my classes. So no one would pick on me. It was better to do the things I loved in private.

Where no one could judge me.

Where no one could tell me I wasn't good enough.

................

I walked my usual route to school. I could hear the sound of animal scurrying across the crystal white snow, and the crunch underneath my feet. The school was only a block away, and I could feel my stomach flip as the routine continues. The doors come in sight, and I try to hide from the face that I don't want to have on the same earth as me. But my mind can't make things real.

I spotted Thomas. He was looking at me when a smirk appeared across his face. This was never good. I bolted down the hallway with my heart feeling like it could explode at any minute. I had to find somewhere to hide. Go and face him. My heart was telling me. But my heart never got in touch with my brain, so I kept on running. I felt a hand grab my arm, and it tightened its grip. The nails were digging into my skin so hard I was surprised it didn't draw blood.

"Did you miss me Sweetie" Thomas asked in a cruel tone. I stayed there in silence, and he kicked my shin. I grabbed it, hoping that would take the pain away. "Of course you did. I mean who could not miss me, right?" He looked down at me as if he wanted an answer. I focused on my shoelaces. He kicked me harder this time in the stomach. "Right?" He said in a more stern voice. I nodded my head because I didn't trust my voice.

"What did you do this weekend?" He said in a fake caring voice. "Probably tried to study but couldn't do it because she is too stupid to know anything. Not like anyone cares, you are worthless even if you did have brains. No one could ever love you." He said giving one last kick before walking off to his class.

Was he right? Did anyone love me? Would anyone ever love me? I am just the girl with the mask. I was the girl with no friends. I was the girl with the glasses.

I didn't feel like going to class. It was too easy for me anyways. But I couldn't let anyone know that. I just went into the girls bathroom to hide. When I walked in the bathroom was empty. I locked the door so no one could get in. It was just me, and my thoughts. I went to go look in the mirror. I could see that my hair was all messed up and bruises were starting to form on my face. Who was this person looking in the mirror? It didn't even feel like me at all.

You are worthless even if you did have brains.

No one could ever love you.

Look, its the girl with no friends.

I can't do this I can't let Thomas get in my head. I couldn't go to that dark place. My dad appeared in my head.

"It's all your fault! Look what you did! You are just a mistake."

The bad things kept piling up on me like bricks. I could feel myself getting weaker by the minute. It's like all the pain that I had locked away for years had suddenly came rushing to me. I couldn't handle it. It was so sudden, and pain had boiled inside me. 

 Flashback

I was at my dad's house, and I had my pigtails hanging by my shoulders. I could smell a foul smell under my father's breath. I didn't know at that point that the smell that I breathed in my nose, was the smell of alcohol. 

"Daddy?" I said confused because of his bloodshot eyes. I could see that anger as it washed over his face.  "What's going on?" I said starting to panic. He started to move slowly towards me. "You." He said with ferocity. "Why are you even here? You don't deserve to be my daughter." 

Flashback over 

My heart shattered that day, and has never been repaired since.

It probably never will get fixed.

You don't deserve to be my daughter.

The thoughts are swirling in my head, and I can't fight back. There only way to escape.

Do it. Don't be such a coward.

"I can't." I whisper to myself.

Why not? No one will ever care anyway.

I grabbed the broken piece of glass from my backpack. My bracelets fall from my wrist to the floor with a clank. I could see scars that were fading away on my arms. I put the blade on my arm, and the blood oozed from my wrist. I could feel the memories slowly flood from my memory. I could feel myself fall slowly out of consciences. But before I could, I heard a familiar voice. "Please don't leave me! Remember Audrey! You have to! Remember all the good things in your life! Remember Ellie, and Kyle! They love you. Please remember! You have to live for me!" 

I could hear in the persons voice that he was sobbing. "Who was that? Who would care enough for me to be begging for me to live? I slip into darkness.

...................

After a couple minutes of total darkness. Memories surround me again. I could see the little faces of Ellie, and Kyle.

There were huge grins on their faces. They were both hiding something behind their backs. "We made something for you." They say in unison.

"Oh did you now?" I say and raise and eyebrow. "Why wouldn't we it's your birthday, or did you forget again?" I chuckle at Kyle's comment.

"I didn't forget my birthday. I just didn't jump up and down, screaming it at the top of my lungs like some people do" I say with a smirk.

He looks down at his feet as his face turns red.

"I can't wait any longer! What did you make me?"

They reveal what was hidden behind there back. I gasp, seeing the homemade book. I look, and see that there were several pages all filled with color. "Thank you guys so much! I love it. I will cherish this forever."

.... 

I am put into another memory. I am in the tree I have seen so many times. I lay on the branch, clenching onto Ellie so she won't fall. We just layed there and listened to the leaves blow, and watched the sun go down. This was my favorite place to be.

"Audrey?" Ellie asks.

"Yes, Ellie?"

"I think you are beautiful, and I want to grow up to be just like you."

"Ellie. Listen to me. Are you listening?" I ask and she nods.

"You need to grow up, and be just like you. There is no one who can be you because you are special. Promise me that you won't ever try to be someone else because of other people. Because guess what?"

"What?"

"There is no one in this world who could be better at being you. Do you promise me?"

"Yeah, I promise."

"Good."

There was a silence.

"I think that there is a prince charming just waiting for you to come into his life. Don't you?"

"I think I would be living with a dozen cats before that." I say while I tickle her, and she lets out a giggle.

"Don't you think there is a prince charming out there for you?"

"Maybe. Just maybe." I say as the sun disappears from the sky.

............

Author's Note

Hey guys. Sorry, but there is probably grammar errors in here. I just wanted to get this up so you guys could get something to read. I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!