A Christmas thing I wrote forever ago

"Ugh." Nico stumbled out of his cabin, squinting into the sunlight. Why couldn't breakfast be later in the day? He wasn't a morning person, even without having to get up at seven thirty.

Someone grabbed him in a hug from behind, and Nico yelped in surprise. That 'someone' turned out to be Will, who rested his head on Nico's shoulder, still hugging him. "Good morning."

"What's so good about it?" Nico grumbled.

Will laughed. "Someone's in a bad mood. What's up?"

"I hate mornings." Nico scowled.

This made Will laugh even harder. "You and the rest of the world."

"Except you."

"True. I love mornings. I don't know why. I guess I'm just a morning person."

"Or maybe you're just weird." Nico turned in Will's arms to face him. "Let me go. I want to go eat." Secretly, though, he loved it when Will held him, especially on a cold day like this.

He didn't notice that he'd snuggled into Will's chest until he realized he could hear Will's heartbeat. Blushing, he pulled away and looked down at the ground. Stupid. He's going to tease you about this for a week. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Will didn't say anything, and Nico was tempted to look up. He felt Will's hand graze his cheek and gasped. Slowly, far too slowly, Nico felt Will's hand move down to his chin. Will raised Nico's chin up so they were facing each other, and Nico allowed himself a small smile.

Will smiled back at him. "Merry Christmas, by the way."

Nico wrinkled his nose in confusion. "Christmas?"

"Yeah, Death Boy. Christmas. You know, when people get presents and all that?"

"I know what Christmas is, you dork." Nico stuck his tongue out at his boyfriend, making said boyfriend laugh. "I just-"

"Forgot?"

"Yeah, you could say that."

Will laughed again, a short, musical sound that made Nico's heart skip a beat. Nico wrapped his arms around Will's neck and smiled up at him.

"Merry Christmas."