Jack suddenly took a step back when the arm started to drag what remained along in his direction. He plunged his machete into its head.

“We have to watch out for that,” he said. He pulled the machete out of its head. He looked around the corner.

“More,” he said. Kate turned around as if to go back and see if there was another route.

“Eep!” she screamed. More again.

“We’re surrounded...”Christian said as he looked straight ahead. Alex handed a metal pipe to Christian as he lay to the ground.

“Thanks,” he said, knowing that this was a last ditch attempt. They prepared to meet their fate. Out of nowhere, a Land Rover came racing down the way they had come from. It mowed down the zombies from that route. Everyone looked in surprise. Some zombies started approaching Jack and Christian. Christian started to bludgeon the zombies across the head and Jack hacked and slashed at anything coming his way. A door opened. Gunfire could be heard.

“Guns?” Alex said as he struggled to look up. He saw two people firing shots at the zombies.

“How did they find us?” Kate exclaimed. A zombie managed to get past Jack and was headed for Kate. She screamed. A spear whooshed past her and impaled the zombie. It was dragged past her and to the two heroes. One fired a shot into its head.

“COLE JOHNSON!! DUN DUN DUN!” Cole shouted in triumph. It was Cole and Oisín. Théa, Cole’s twenty one year-old sister, leaned out the window.

“Get in!” she shouted. Everyone turned around and ran for the car. Oisín covered everyone as they did this and hopped into the boot of the car. Oisín and Cole jumped back in and Théa turned the car around and zipped back down the road.

Alex sat with Kate lying in front of him. Christian was inspecting the injuries on his nose. Jack sat on a bench with his head between his knees and machete hanging loosely in his hand. Cole turned around from the front, his shoulder length curly brown hair bobbed as he did this.

“You guys ok?” he asked. Kate looked back over Alex’s shoulder.

“Alex has an injured chest, I think a rib is broken, and Christian has a gash across his nose,” she listed. Cole laughed.

“Did your nose get in the way?” he said. Christian would have normally laughed at this sort of comment, but in these circumstances he just sighed.

“What happened? The train wasn’t in the station,” Oisín asked. He had short spiky brown hair and was fairly tall and muscular considering he was only fourteen.

“I dunno, it crashed on the bridge. That’s where we got our injuries,” Alex explained.

“We can patch you up when we get back to the house, but we have to stop in Clifden to get supplies on the way back,” Théa said. Her dark brown hair was tied up.

“You’ve managed to keep your positive attitude through...this,” Christian said. Cole smiled.

“Yes, of course!” Cole smiled. Alex frowned.

“I’d heard there were riots but....I would have never imagined....” Alex was interrupted by a fit of coughing.

“Yeah, it is pretty bad…” Théa said. Alex stopped coughing.

“Bloody zombies,” he expressed angrily. Kate turned to him and lightly ran her hand across his chest. He winced.

“Is it bad?” she asked.

“I’ll live,” he disclosed. Jack looked up.

“How long until we arrive in Clifden?” he asked.