Alex immediately became on high alert. He decided, stupidly, to quickly shake and scream at Kate, Christian and Jack. The zombie looked up towards Alex and it started to stumble towards him. It had an arm missing and its head was twisted at an angle. Alex cringed and closed his eyes. He heard a slicing noise. He opened his eyes and the zombie’s head had been stricken off. He saw Jack in front of him, a dead serious face on.

“Th-thanks!” Alex stuttered. Jack wielded a machete that he had drawn from his bag on the rack above.

“Let’s go,” Jack said. Christian and Kate had managed to get up. Everyone seemed to be ok, other than a large gash across Christian’s nose. They started moving down the carriage. They saw hordes of zombies outside, ripping apart innocent people. Kate gagged. Alex felt sick too and felt a sudden pain in his chest. They kept walking and got to the end of the carriage.

The door was partially open. Christian and Alex pushed the doors open. They hopped out. Zombies were eating what remained of the passengers. The smell was horrible and Alex was surprised that he didn’t get sick. A few zombies wandered a bit close and Jack cut them down. He was surprisingly confident, it was almost scary. They looked around. The rest of the train had managed to close off the way back the bridge.

“Hmm...” Kate thought to herself, “we’re going to have to jump into the river.” Jack looked worried.

“I can’t swim very well,” Jack admitted.

“I’m a trained lifeguard. I can bring you to shore if you don’t panic,” she said. Jack, still a little sceptical, nodded. Kate made sure she jumped first. She landed in the river and bobbed her head up. Jack jumped next. He landed in the water and fumbled around before Kate supported his back and grabbed his chin and supported his back and dragged him to shore. Christian jumped next as they shook some of the water off. He swam to the edge and Jack gave him a hand up.

Alex knew he was a confident swimmer, but he was afraid of heights. He looked down over the bridge. It was a long way down. He suddenly turned as he heard moaning. A zombie was limping over to him.

“Fuck it,” he swore under his breath and jumped in. He landed in the water, chest first. As he smashed into the water he felt all the breath go from his body. He came up from the water for a breath, but couldn’t breathe. His first thought was ‘try to breathe again’ but after that didn’t work he realised something. His rib was broken.

The sharp pain he felt on the train was the rib, and now it had worsened that he had hit the water. He waved furiously at his friends. Kate, realising he was in trouble, jumped back in. Alex wasn’t sure if he could stay conscious. Kate grabbed him and swam hastily to shore. Now that Alex was on shore he could breathe a bit, but he was still weakened from the hit.

“We have to keep moving,” Christian said. Kate looked at Christian worryingly.

“Alex isn’t going to be able to do this easily,” Kate frowned. Christian lifted Alex up and let him put his arm around his shoulder.

“Let’s get the fuck out of here!” Christian shouted. They made their way as fast as they could away from the horrific scene. Jack turned to see if he could see any other survivors. More humanoid shapes, whether or not they were alive, fell from the bridge.

“Come on, we need to go,” Kate urged him to keep going.

“If we get to the outskirts there will be less zombies there,” Kate explained. A stray zombie wandered around a corner that they were coming up to. Jack slashed at the creature. He hacked through one shoulder down through to the waist. The zombie’s head with half a torso including an arm hit the ground.