To Be Sent A Savior

Shout out to my friend Abby for helping me write this. Day 4 of Sydneyxix's 12 Days of Ficmas.

+ + +

"Oh, fuck."

If it wasn't for the profanity that had just fallen so naturally off of your tongue, you would've thought you were dead. I mean, all of the signs were there: your car had spun out on the icy road, there was a jolty, harsh thud, and you were staring at a wide expanse of whiteness. But after a few dazed moments of blinking and deep breaths, you realized that, no, you were not ascending to heaven. You were actually just stuck in a snow bank.

You repeated, louder, "Oh, fuck!"

The next thought you had was that you probably should check the car for damage. You unbuckled your possibly life-saving seatbelt and opened the car door with some difficulty. A light snowfall had started to come down, and it would have been very peaceful if it wasn't for the stress you had regarding the fact that you'd just crashed off the road.

Walking to the front of the car through the snow you realized the car had a few dents here and there, but nothing huge. A sigh escaped your lips. At least you didn't have to pay for any major damage.

Following the footprints you had just made, you climbed back into your car to retrieve your phone. Luckily the battery was at half percent. Unlocking your phone you pulled up the contacts section and pressed your roommate's number. You waited, rubbing your frigid arms as you listened to the hum of the dial tone, only to find out that you didn't have any service.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," you muttered, shaking your head. You had no idea what to do next.

Helplessly, you began brushing snow from the top and side of you car, suppressing tears of irritation; you were far too annoyed to cry. And then, for a second time that night, you were certain you had died: there was an unexpected surge of noise coming from your left, bright yellow light in your eyes, and a bitingly cold evening wind. Turning to face the illumination, however, you realized that it was only a car, honking and speeding past you.

"Yeah, well, fuck you too!" you shouted back, heart beating rapidly.

A minute and a half must've gone by before another car turned onto your road. Squinting into the reflection of the windshield as it approached you, you considered just flipping the driver off before they could honk at you, too pissed off to even pretend to be pleasant, but you were shocked when, instead, the car slowed to a stop on the side of the road beside you.

You took a step back from your car and watched the driver emerge from his curiously.

"Hey, hi, promise I'm only here to help," your company announced loudly, approaching you. His voice was kind. "I can't leave you stranded here, that wouldn't be right. It's the holidays."

You laughed bitterly. "Gee, thanks."

Once the man traveled the rest of the distance between you, he fixed you with a friendly smile (that was, at the same time, absolutely adorable) and offered you his gloved hand to shake. "I'm Tobi."

You shook his hand politely, said, "I'm Y/n."

You blamed the delay you had in releasing Tobi's hand on your trauma from your recent near-death experience. After two long seconds of just standing there, holding it and gazing steadfastly at him, you both dropped your hands hurriedly and turned toward your car.

"Right, well..." Tobi raised a hand and rested it on the back of his neck, contemplative. "I can pull out."

Your head snapped in his direction. "You can what?"

Tobi's eyes widened. "It!" he amended hurriedly. "I can pull IT out. Like the car?"

"Oh, right, of course," you replied, trying to hide your amusement. "I can help too, it's worth a shot. But let's try pushing it from the front instead." After Tobi agreed, still seeming a bit awkward after his slip-up, the two of you walked to the front and got in position to push the car.

"When I say go, start pushing, okay?" Tobi said to you. You nodded in response.

"3...2...1... GO!" You started pushing the car with all your strength, but it felt like it was coming towards you, if that is was even possible. Suddenly your feet betrayed you, losing traction with the slick road, and you were on your face in the cold, wet, snow.

"Well, fuck me," you muttered, still face first in snow. You felt hands on your arms, and then suddenly Tobi was lifting you out of the snow.

Once on your feet again, you brushed the snowflakes from your face, spat out a bit of the ice. "Thanks for that. I don't think pushing the car worked."

"No..." Tobi murmured. He dragged a gloved hand across his chin, and as you stood there, staring dejectedly at your stranded vehicle, you were overwhelmed by a fit of sneezes. Tobi blessed you after each one, keeping you upright when you almost slipped on the ice for a second time.

At last, grip steady on your shoulder, he said, "Look, Y/n, I'd hate to sound too forward but there's a restaurant that I can drive you to up the road. We can get phone service there and you can call whoever to help you get your car out of the snow. Or if you can't, some of my friends live around here as well. I can call them if I have to. But you really need to get out of the cold."

You were exhausted, humiliated, and otherwise helpless, so when you willed your body to stop shivering long enough to reply, you agreed to let Tobi drive you to whatever restaurant was nearby. The two of you noted what street you were on and what landmarks were around your car for later.

He helped you into the passenger's seat of his car, then hurried around the front to get in on the other side. The heat was cranked up as high as it could go, and for that, you were extremely grateful.

You explained to Tobi what had happened to result in your accident as he drove through the evening pacifically; you'd been on your way home from a holiday party, you took a shortcut in the hopes to avoid some traffic, and you spun out on a sheet of black ice and wedged yourself into a wall of snow. Tobi listened to the story silently, nodding along every once in awhile, as you spoke over the soft music that was playing from his car radio.

By the time you'd pulled up against a shoveled curb outside of a brightly-lit restaurant, Tobi was saying, "Well, I'm glad that it wasn't as bad as it could've been."

"Oh, I'm okay now," you agreed. "With a lot of thanks to you."

Tobi smiled, brown eyes as warm as the air in the car, and rested his arm on the center console. "I literally did nothing. But you're certainly very welcome."

Tobi let you make your call in the car while you were still parked outside, texting his friends as you did. And finally, once your roommate and a couple of her guy friends agreed to meet you at your car within the hour, he offered to treat you to a coffee and a muffin in the restaurant, neither of which, as well as his company, you could resist.