Just A Movie

I head up to my room and get dressed and straighten up a little. I grab my laundry from the dryer and fold it and put it away for once. I seem to have all this nervous energy and I wonder if it's left over from all the excitement last night. I'm half looking for my necklace, and anything else that might be missing. I notice that Xavier's coat is gone from the end of my bed and think I'll have to thank mom for returning it to him.

I actually do have homework to do and I start it, but get interrupted by a call from Beth. She tells me all about her date with my brother and goes on and on. I finally get away from her only to have Turner call with an update on his situation. Before I know it it's 6PM already and I head down to dinner.

Mom's just setting the table when I get downstairs and Lathe is getting out glasses and drinks. I grab some silverware as dad walks in and sits down. We say Grace once we're all seated and dig in.

"Did you get the folder from Xavier this morning?" I ask mom.

"I did, thank you for taking it over to him for me."

"Thanks for taking his jacket back, I really appreciate it; considering I was almost killed on my way home!" I just drop on them.

Both of my parents stop mid-bite and stare at me. "What are you talking about!?" My dad asks.

I explain the whole trip home incident to them. Dad was going to call down to police headquarters to complain and Mom was going on about how she hopes this didn't scare people from wanting to buy property in Haskill Summit.

Parents. Ya gotta love 'em!

Lathe and I are sitting watching TV after dinner. He's strumming on his guitar, softly and I'm doing my best to tune him out, but it's a really nice tune and I can't help but listen so I totally lose track of the show I'm watching. My cell phone rings and the caller ID says Xavier.

"Hey! What's up?" I answer the phone.

"I was just wondering if you'd like to come by and hang out tonight. We can take a walk up the hill out back or watch a movie if you like."

I pause and think for a minute. Should I? Would that be considered being unfaithful to Turner? I mean, are we really a thing, Turner and I? We've never actually said we'd be exclusive. And do I really want to get involved with Xavier? What do I really know about him? Is that why I'm so intrigued by him: because I know so little about him?

"I understand if you don't want to." I hear him say.

"Sorry, just thinking through my schedule for tonight to see if I can fit you in." I try to cover and be funny. "I see an open slot between 8 and 10. We can drive up to the drive-in to catch the movie there if you want."

"I'm not really a drive-in kind of guy." He tells me.

"I'm not really a walk-up-the-hill-out-back kinda girl."

"That leaves watching a movie here."

"Umm, Xavier, I have a boyfriend." I finally say to him.

"I see. Do you and he have plans tonight?"

"No, he's actually out of town right now."

"Well, there you go, you can come over and watch a movie. I have Men In Black, it's one of my favorites. I'll make some popcorn, break out some soda, and we can have a nice evening together." He tries to convince me.

I look at the clock over my shoulder, 7:50, "I might be able to be there by 8:30. Is your friend, Dante going to be there? Or your other friends?"

"Unfortunately they'll be out. It's just going to be you and I."