Chapter One

Life hack for staying warm; set yourself on fire. At least that's what I do when I'm feeling a bit chilly. Those HYDRA douche canoes seem to always keep my little corner of hell at a nippy 60 degrees. It's not like it hurts or anything, one of the perks of my powers; I'm fireproof. Not to mention I look pretty freakin' cool. Although I don't get to do it very often, they don't like it when I do things without their permission. That's usually why I get stuck with the collar, only ever taken off for training. It keeps my powers from working, as long as I have that thing on, I can't do anything. I hate it, makes me feel like a dog. It's one of the only reasons I'm still here.    Today was one of those precious few days where they let me rest. Not out of the kindness of their hearts, I'm fairly sure they don't have any, but because of doctors orders. Yesterday I had screwed up, I was weak, I hesitated. My ribs still hurt from yesterday's punishment.
    Shaking the thoughts from my head, I leaned back on the uncomfortable cot I slept in and stared at the blank and, you guessed it, white wall in front of me. I sighed heavily and closed my eyes, hoping I could sleep the day away. I hated how quiet it was, all the time, I could hear my own steady heartbeat.
    Thump.
    Thump.
    Thump.
    BANG.
    Thump.
    Wait, what?
    I shot up and whipped my head towards the only exit out of the room; a thick metal door. I slowly moved off the cot and pressed my ear to the door. It was a little difficult with this bulky collar on but I got close enough to start hearing the distinct sounds of gunfire and distant explosions. They were getting closer.
    My 'steady' heartbeat was growing significantly less steady as the gunfire grew louder. Soon I was able to hear shouting and what sounded like a... roar?
    I shook my head and leaned my back onto the door, just in time to hear what sounded like, "Get that door!"
    I gasped and pushed myself off of the door just in time for it to blow off its hinges. I somehow managed to push myself out of the way just as the 5-inch thick door buried itself into the tile wall, right where I was standing a second ago.
    "Tony," came a man's voice that I didn't recognize, "Please be more careful. We're trying to find the spear, not break it!"
    I coughed as some of the dust cleared, giving me a clear view of... a robot? I rubbed my eyes to make sure I didn't have dust in them. Yeah, that's a genuine red and gold robot. And I thought I was the weirdest thing made in a lab. I mean, they even named it Tony. What kind of person tries to make a scary ass robot and then names it Tony?
    Regardless of poor choice in names, it did just blow a hole in the wall, and with the collar on, I could possibly be next. I shot to my feet and pressed my back against the wall, trying to keep my face passive while looking at the death bot in the face-plate, which was currently facing down the hallway.
    I couldn't believe it. I was gonna die having done nothing in my life except whatever those HYDRA jerks told me to with the stupid dog collar on. I was about to insult the robot, wanting my last words to be sarcastic, when it spoke first.