The Rodeo

"Come on Macie!" Lanie's voice called from outside my second story bedroom window. I rolled my eyes at her and grabbed my other boot on he way out.

"Hold it right there Macie LeeAnn!" My mother's voice said sternly from behind as I passed the kitchen.

I stopped dead in my tracks and turned straight around to face her. She was standing in the kitchen with her arms crossed and a wide smile on her lips.

"You're gonna run right out of this house and not give me so much as a bye momma over your shoulder?" She asked teasingly.

I gave her a quick peck on the cheek and smiled "Bye momma!" I play mocked as I ran out the door.

I jumped in the truck and slammed the door behind me.

"Why in the sam's hill are you not wearin' both of your boots?" She laughed.

"Because someone wasn't waitin' for nothin'." I said, sliding my foot into the boot and putting on my seat belt as she pulled out of the driveway, slinging gravel and turning the radio up.

When we pulled into the rodeo we pulled up to Marsha and Lanie rolled the window down. Marsha looked back at the trailer and back at us.

"I didn't think you were in this season. Ain't squirt got a lame foot?" She asked curiously, taking the money Lanie handed her for our entrance.

"Yeah, I'm out. That's Lacer back there." Lanie explained.

After a few more words with Marsha we continued through to the trailer parking and set up.

"Last call for barrel and team ropein'." Lanie's dad announced from the wooden announcer's stand.

"I better go get my form. Your dad'll have a fit if I ask him to late me again." I said, laughing as I handed Lanie the hoof pick in my hand and began my walk to the stand.

I climbed the steps up and waited behind a couple of bull riders before Craig handed me a clip board and said "Good to see you ain't gonna be askin' me to late ya again."

I laughed at him and handed him back the form with the money for my entry.

"You better be careful at that last barrel. I saw Lacer's right leg come out last time. And don't get so close on the second barrel. It'll save ya a knock n' a bruise on that knee." He advised.

I shook my head and welcomed his advice. "Thanks Craig."

He gave me a nod and I jogged back down the stairs, pushing through the group of girls that had crowded now and letting the guy behind me receive his board.

When I finally shoved through all the girls I discovered the source of their groupie actions.

He was tall and lean, light brown hair and a squared jaw and slight stubble on his chin and lip. He looked up at me and butterflies shot though my stomach and straight up to my wind pipe when I saw his piercing blue gray eyes.

I could tell he was about to say something but I didn't let him. I walked right passed and cleared my throat, dislodging the butterflies and gathering my senses as I approached Lanie and she brushed Lacer. The dark mare stamped her foot when Lanie began the circles on her rump. but not in pain, in pleasure.

"You just can't keep from readyin' a horse can ya?" I teased her as I reached out and stroked Lacer's face.

"I can't help it. I miss bein' the one ridin'. Now I just have to sit back and let you take the reigns. Literally." She joked. 

"Well, we better get him saddled. I'm up as soon as they get done drawin.'" I said, Grabbing the saddle from the rack in the trailer.

"Alright, Macie you're up. Cassie, you're on deck and Jessica you're in the hole." Craig announced as they opened they gate and let me in. I took a deep breath and tightened my hand on the horn, the other on the reigns.

Leaning forward and giving Lacer a few nudges we were off, approaching the first barrel at top speed I pulled the reigns and we rounded smoothly. As we approached the second barrel I remembered to not get so close but still knocked my knee. At the third barrel We went smoothly and raced forward to the gate.

I looked at my time as the crowed clapped. 14 seconds.

I was satisfied as I dismounted Lacer at the trailer and began to unsaddle her.

"You know, I've always thought barrel racers had a certain sexiness about 'em." A deep, familiar voice said from the other side of Lacer. I looked up from my task to see Jared, a familiar bull rider, looking back at me with a snuff grin from ear to ear.

I rolled my eyes and laughed once at him.

"Ya know Jared, I've always thought bull riders had a certain cockiness about 'em." I said, looking down and continuing the task at hand.

"Oh, come on. what'dya  say we go fishin' after this thang? Just me n' you." He said, making yet another pass at me.

"Jared, I've known you since I was 8. You never wanna 'go fishin'." I said, shaking my head at him.

"Well, we can do other things." He said as if it was obvious.

"Go away and let me finish this so I can get to the stands before the team ropin' starts." I said, exasperated.

"Awe, come-on Macie. one-"

"I'm pretty sure she asked you to leave her alone" He was cut off by a deep, southern male voice.

We both looked up to see who it was and my eyes once again met those blue gray eyes, butterflies lodging them selves in my throat again.