The Next Big Step

“This out to be good.” I whispered at the wind. It was a chilly New York evening. I was sitting outside of a local coffee shop a couple blocks away from my house, waiting for Zayn to arrive. 

When I told my mom about our plans, she excitedly told me it was fine and that she secretly had been waiting for the moment when I would have my first date. It was a little embarrassing but I laughed at her enthusiasm. She even helped me out with my outfit. Of course Sam freaked out the most. The moment we got home, she knew something was up. She kept bothering me to tell her until I finally gave in and I told her everything. It was like watching someone win a million dollars by the way she was jumping up and down screaming. I told her about our conversations when everyone was riding the coasters. How I was scared to death but he held me tightly even though I could also feel how scared he was too, and how hard he was trying to hide it. I told her about how I pretended to be a fan for the heck of it. I also told her about him asking me out. What I didn’t tell her was how the moment he asked me out my stomach dropped to ankles and my heart stopped for a second. 

Yesterday had been absolutely amazing. Fooling around in paintball, kicking everyone’s ass, pretending to be a warrior with Danielle, the long talks with Zayn while everyone went to the rides, eating a whole bunch of food with Niall and mostly being around everyone. All the boys were extremely funny and caring. Danielle and Eleanor were incredibly cool and fun to hang out with. Of course there was Sam too. I could never live without her. She’s my weird, crazy, hyperactive sister.

I looked out into the street. I could see that today was a busy day with a lot of productivity. There were many taxis and cars passing by. I wondered about what people might be doing. I wanted to know their destination. A date? Work? Home? No one that I didn't know had a clue that I was meeting one of the boys from a super famous band. I felt special, in a way.

“I’m sorry I’m late.” A voice appeared. I looked back to see Zayn walking toward our table. I instantly noticed how he looked absolutely amazing with his outfit. From top to bottom, he looked like a model. I felt a little insecure with my choice of clothing, like I could never compare to such beauty. 

“It’s fine.” I replied.

Zayn grabbed the chair in front of mine and sat down.

“The boys decided to give me a talk before I left and it wasn’t a pretty one either.”

“What did they say?” I asked curiously.

“It’s better if you don’t know.” 

“I will take your word for it.” 

Zayn chuckled.

“So, should we order?” I suggested.

“Oh, we’re not eating here.”

“We’re not?” 

“Nope.” Zayn stood up in a swift movement, and he stood by my side, extending his hand towards me. I took it and started following him down the street. 

I could feel myself getting a little nervous. It happens every time I touch him. It was just something I couldn’t control. I also liked the way we were hand in hand like a couple, it made it seem so surreal. Just thinking about us together made my stomach tremble. I had finally admitted to myself that I cared for Zayn as more than friends but I also reminded myself that we could never be a couple. He was famous, super famous and I was just a girl from New York, no one special. Our lives could never work. Of course I shrugged it all away, for tonight.

“Were are we going?” I asked Zayn as we were riding in a taxi toward downtown New York. 

“I asked a bunch of people for a great restaurant and they told me about one in downtown NY so that’s were we’re going.”