Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The woman shifts her gaze to Leo. He slowly lowers the map before raising his hands in the same fashion as me. Her eyes spark with approval before she slowly moves her focus to Bogdan.

"That applies to you too, vamp," she snarls.

I keep my eyes on her, but I can feel Bogdan stiffen beside me. He could easily attack this woman and take her down. No question. But there's no way he can outrun a bullet. If she shoots me, he won't be able to do anything to stop it. And if he steps in front of me, that'll make me even more of a target.

I may not be able to hear Bogdan's thoughts, but I've been with him long enough to start to understand his line of thinking.

"Don't test me," she growls. "These bullets will kill the humans on impact. But they're made of something potent enough to kill you, too."

Poison.

The bullets are made of poison. I start trembling with fear. Realistically I know Bogdan will be fine. He says my blood is strong enough to protect him. But what if there's a poison we don't know about? A poison strong enough to take him down too?

I bite my lip. The tears rising to my eyes begin to dribble down my cheeks. Ever so slowly Bogdan raises his arms into the air.

"That's better," the woman says.

The wind carries her voice to us, assisting her vendetta with ease. Her tone is rich like a vampire's, but there's a human quality to it as well. If I wasn't so terrified, I'd be fascinated. She takes a tentative step towards us. Never once does her arm quiver as she keeps the gun pointed at me.

Her eyes dance over the map before moving to Leo's motorcycle and the duffle bag full of clothes, supplies, and pineapple cans.

"It's not often I see a vampire traveling with two humans," she comments, her eyes still devouring our minimal belongings. "At least, not without them being kept as prisoners."

Her brown eyes shift over to me again. She studies me curiously, her gaze traveling down the length of my torso. Her nostrils flare, and I recognize the action as she gauges my scent. A bit of heat rises to her cheeks when she does. She grins slightly.

"What's in the bag?" she asks after a moment, nodding to the duffle bag a few feet away.

Bogdan opens his mouth to speak, but Leo beats him to it.

"Clothes and supplies."

The Secondary moves her eyes to Leo. Once again her nostrils flare, but she doesn't seem nearly as impressed with his scent as mine. My arms tremble with worry as she moves closer to us. The sun catches her face as she tilts her chin-up. Her cream-colored skin seems to radiate. Her features are feminine like that of a human woman, but pointed and harsh like that of a vampire.

The combination is hard to look away from, their stark contrasts creating an unsettling beauty.

"And who might you be?" she asks, nodding to Leo.

"I'm Leo."

She glances at Bogdan. "And you?"

Bogdan remains motionless. I can see the glow of his red eyes burning into her as he grits out his name. She grins and comes to a stop just five feet away from us. Sweat pours from my torso. My wool refuses to release any of the heat, and my head spins from dizziness.

The Secondary paces a bit at the invisible line in front of us before her gaze lands on me once again. Her lips curve into a smile, and I notice her fangs are very small compared to Bogdan's.