35. Счастливого рождества!

So right now I just found out that Russians celebrate "Christmas" today! This sorta defeats my Christmas headcanons for Gru. Well, maybe not really...

First Christmas with the girls was a unique one. The girls secretly would squeal and think of all the presents they'll receive. Individually they made Christmas cards and placed them the kitchen's counter. Gru mistakes this as some random drawing, yet he doesn't throw them away. Instead, he hangs them from the fridge, along with other drawings. 

2 more days until Christmas and the girls are hyped. But they start noticing the lack of Christmas decorations in the house. There are no flickering lights hanging from the walls, stocking on the fireplace, and worst of all there is no pine tree. Agnes gets brave enough to ask the lack of Christmas spirit. The ex-villain kneels down to his youngest daughter. "Well, Christmas isn't here yet." He says. His hand pets Agnes hair then walks away. He leaves poor Agnes complexed. 

Chrismas Eve arrives and the girls open their eyes with delight. They're hoping that the whole house is decorated and filled with Christmas joy. So in the presence of Christmas spirit, they wear red and green clothing. Once Margo steps outside (along with Edith and Agnes running downstairs) they discover yet the lack of decorations. "Good morning gurls." Waves Gru with a  cup of steaming coffee in his hand. "Wh-where's the decoration?" Asks the eldest. "Where's the tree?" Says Edith. "Where's Christmas?" Agnes whines. "Christmas isn't until next month" Gru replies.

Then Margo starts to comprehend what's going on. She walks toward her father. She places her hand or her swaying hips. "You don't celebrate Christmas don't you?" The eldest asks. Gru sips his warming coffee. "I do, it's next month, though." That's when Margo gives up on the comprehension and is lost. Edith and Margo join her sister. "I'm Russian, therefore I celebrate Christmas on de 7th of January." Explains Gru. Edith's eyes widen as she stated, "wow you're Russian?" "The accent gives it off." Margo says. 

Gru starts explaining the Russian tradition of his Christmas. But he rarely celebrates it since he has no family to enjoy it with. Now that he has the girls in his life maybe there is a reason to celebrate Russian Christmas. 

On January 7, the girls understand the importance of Russian Christmas so they try baking cookies in a shape of a deer called Kozulya. Gru has bought the ingredients to make the traditional meal. Which includes, beetroot soup (borsch) or vegan potluck (solyanka) served with individual vegetable pies (often made with cabbage, potato, or mushroom); sauerkraut, porridge dishes such as buckwheat with fried onions and fried mushrooms, salads often made from vegetables like gherkins, mushrooms or tomatoes, and also potato or other root vegetable salads. 

They spend the 7th of January learning more of Gru's background and his native place. For a bedtime story, Gru reads them Vasilisa the Beautiful, a Russian folktale. 

After celebrating Russian Christmas, the girls teach Gru about December 25th Christmas. After mastering that Christmas for 3 years, the family decides to celebrate Christmas and Russian Christmas respectively each year. 

When Lucy is introduced to Gru's life, she as well learns about Russian Christmas and finds it cute that they celebrate their father's heritage.

If you're Russian and you're reading this...

First of all, COOL

And Second, Счастливого рождества! ^.^