afterwards

she was a tornado with pretty eyes and a heartbeat. there was no comparing the sun and the stars and everything in between to the girl standing alone with cold tears streaming down her face and the doubts numbering her freckles. even with puffy red eyes and trembling lips, the girl was still just as beautiful as she could ever be. her eyes still overflowed with hidden hope, and her hair was just as glowing and golden as the first signs of morning. still, there was this sense of untouchableness going about her. she wasn't cocky or arrogant or anything like that; she was confident and quiet and stardust. i took a deep breath and squeezed my eyes shut, letting my nerves drink in my surroundings. it had started to rain, and with the earth and the air and the rain clapping down unto my shoulders and becoming the air that i breathed and the light that i sought, each drop reminded me that i will never be good enough for her. i would never be the person she would talk to, the boy she would rely on. the premonition swam around me, taunting me. they all felt heavy. the nevers would be and the nevers would do made me want to close my eyes and get lost in the snapshot of the girl with the wishful eyes. she shuddered, glorified eyes taking sight of my dull and unworthy own.  i knew that look- she was drinking me in. silently manipulating me with her eyes to spill my deepest most raw secrets. she took her bottom trembling lip in between her white teeth and glanced behind her, the the once beautiful sharp cliff that jutted out behind her like a dare.

a dare to take a plummet and to explore the danger. a dare to breathe in the deadwater.