Lies your parents tell you: "Just do your best"

How many times have your parents told you to "just do your best"?

Sure, they may mean it at the time. But parents don't seem to understand something:

"Your best" is meaningless.

"I got a D but I did my best!" Do you really think they're just going to go "Oh, ok then. :)" HECK NO. "Your best" is something they just say to reassure you that actually isn't even reassuring. "You're best" is code for "The best."

Sometimes "Your best" just isn't good enough.

Heck, sometimes they genuinely mean it. But that thought goes straight out their heads when your grades drop.

Parents don't want you to do "Your best." Parents want "The best for you." But parents today don't understand school. School is a lot different than it was back then. Even the difference between my sister and my schools, and we're only 6 years apart, is huge.

There are AP tests. SATs must be perfect. ACTs. SAT subjects. PSATs. It's all changed.

School today is stressful. We are pushed into AP classes, but then when we get B's in them criticized.

"Your best".

"Your best" is nothing.

Give it everything you've got.

Then give it your best.

And you'll be halfway there.

You may think I'm just being cynical. But tell me I'm wrong.