And write one for me too. Bring it back when you're coming back.
He requested.

And then her face fell.

Lamido Maheer I need to tell you something.
Where they're taking me....
she paused sniffing a tear back. 

Where they're taking me. Lamido Maheer I'm not coming back.

He halted as his gaze stiffen. Suddenly the smile he held became diluted. Drawn cold.

What do you mean you're not coming back Jewel?

He managed to utter softly ignoring his heart as it beats wildly againts his chest.

She closed her eyes a little because what she's about to say, she can never say it looking into his eyes.

Lamido Maheer I'm not coming back.
She repeated herself.

But why? 
He moved closer to her lifting her chin to meet his gaze.

She held her eyes close still.

Because.. because
she paused as her breathing hitched.

He drew her closer to his chest at this moment. He had never seen her cry. Not even when she was little and she grazed her knees. Or when the older kids bully her on the  grazing fields. Or even when she spills her fresh milk on the way home after a successful milking of the cows. Her face just holds a grimace and suddenly her entire demeanour lits up with a smile. But today she was about to cry. For the first time and in his embrace. It hurts him so much.

Jewel you're crying.
He was about to cry too.
Jawahir why are you crying. Have I done anything wrong? Do you want me to come with you.

No
she sobbed.

But despite her tears, she found solace in his warm embrace. It provided her a warm enclosure and peace.

Look at me Jewel. Tell me what it is that Is bothering you.
He cried.

Lamido I heared Baffa say I'm not coming back.
She quaked

And he smiled as he ran smooth circles on her back.

Are you crying about what you eavesdrop over and heard. Did Baffa tell you himself. You probably heared him wrong.
He reassured.

But how could she tell him that what she heared wasn't anything wrong. Or what Inna had told her the previous night. Or that this was the "Final Goodbye". She looked at his face as he used his long fingers to wipe off her tear.

Lamido Maheer.
She muttered as she strode towards the river while he followed into her steps.

Will you think of me when I leave?
She asked walking deeper into the muddy river bank.

He held her hand to stop her then drew her closer till she was standing few inches away from him.