Prologue

Hermione was in bed in her cold and dirty bed sit. The walls were full of damp and the air smelt accordingly. She was passed caring, she felt drained and had become a recluse. After the war everything around her seemed to be falling apart. Her relationship with Ronald was over as she just couldn't cope with his outbursts, her friendship with Harry remained but was distant. She didn't want to connect with people, she felt it best to block out emotion and become cold. It was as if the only thing she would ever care about again was career based, or education based. There was nothing else left of her.

Ronald had become cruel and aggressive, Hermione knew that he was struggling to cope with the loss of his brother but she didn't realise how much a person could change, she didn't blame him though, for changing from a kind and happy go lucky guy into a cold, and heartless bastard... No, Hermione couldn't blame him at all, as she was in the same boat.
She just needed to be alone.

So many good people had lost their lives that day, Fred, Tonks, Remus... The list went on, what upset her the most was the fact Tonks had told her she was pregnant again just hours before the world collapsed around the young witch. She would never get the image of Molly Weasley cradling her son in her arms, nor the broken shards of a shared soul George had remaining in his eyes at the loss of his twin out of her head. The flashbacks replayed day after day.

There was only one justice in all of this, that the one true hero of the war managed to survive, the one who held so much on his shoulders for the past 7 years, the one who held other wounds such as a lonely childhood and bereavement.

No, not Harry Potter

Severus Tobias Snape.

How did Hermione know all his hidden truths? Just after Harry collected Snape's tears as he thought the man to be dying, Madame Pomfrey managed to heal the headmaster temporarily before taking him straight to a specialist magical surgery emergency department at St Mungo's.
He was badly scarred, so much so that he wore a black silk scarf high on his neck almost like a neck brace, but he survived.

He survived....