Chapter Forty-Two

Start from the beginning

“She didn’t want to worry you, but on Christmas Eve when we got back from the cruise her apartment had been broken into,” I confess in a low voice.

“What?” She squeaks and everyone turns their head. “Sorry.”

“Look I’ll explain later, she still isn’t back. I’m going to go check the restrooms,” I told Stacy not wanting to elaborate when the rest of the group looked our way from her alarming squeal.

I set my beer down and took off in the direction of the bathrooms. The feeling is unsettling... The urgency to find her and make sure she is where she is supposed to be overwhelmed my mind. The crowd got in my way as they began to gather towards the stage front for the countdown.

I didn’t care anymore about having a New Year’s Eve kiss. I just needed to know Sonja was okay. It seemed like it took me forever to push through the crowd. I pushed open the ladies restroom door.

“Sonja are you in here?” I called.

I didn’t hear anyone inside. They were all at the live band. I felt bad intruding, but I tried to be a gentleman and just hold the door open calling for her again when what I really wanted to do is barge in and check every stall.

Five minutes to midnight.

“Dammit,” I muttered now I am really worried.

Back out on the lawn I tried to think of where she could have gone. My palpitated with worry. I knew something is very wrong. I could feel it, but I didn’t want to come to that conclusion.

The lawn is empty now and the crowd cheered at the stage. I look the other way as a breeze gusts and I see something reflect off a light blown up by the breeze. I turn towards it for some reason crossing further south to the object.

It’s quite dark and I wouldn’t have noticed it if the wind hadn’t picked up. Like it was trying to tell me something important.

The further I walked away from the crowd the quieter it got making the night feel ominous after how pleasant it has been. Dread seeped into every pore of my body as I got closer and able to distinguish what the object is. My heart plummeted to my feet.

“No,” I moaned and my eyes stung hotly.

I knelt down picking up the silver and black mask that matched my own. I ripped it off my face pulling instead of lifting it over my head as fury set in and the anguish. The elastic snapped and I barely felt the slight sting on my cheek from the band ricocheting around hitting my cheek. I didn’t care as I held the two up to compare not wanting to believe it…unwilling to believe it.

Yes it was definitely her mask.

My sweet Sonja is gone. Taken. I knew who took her, but where is the real question. My love, I have failed you.

My hands shook as they fisted crumpling the masks. I knelt down onto my knees unable to stop the tears, overwhelmed with the need to find her and kill who took her from me. All the unknowns ran like a drag race in my mind. Is she hurt? What will he do to her? The guilt that I didn’t protect her well enough consumed me. I will find her…I had to.

“Evan what is going on?” I heard Stacy’s voice vaguely. Her footsteps are soft but urgent on the grass as she quickly runs up to me. I could tell she held her shoes in her hands as they knocked around against each other.

“Ten.” The crowd roars the start of the countdown.

“He took her,” I growled low and threateningly.

“Nine.”

“What? What did you say? I followed you when I saw you dash the opposite way,” Stacy panted from her run when she finally reached me.

“Eight.”

I stood turning around. Stacy gasped and alarmed from my expression took a step back.

“Seven.”

“He took her,” I repeated.

She looks down at my hands fisted around the masks and her eyes widen looking up at me.

“Six.”

“No please don’t tell me that this is my fault,” Stacy looks at me pleading that it isn’t true. It softens my expression.

“Five.”

“I love her Stacy and I have failed her I have to find her,” my eyes sting again.

“Four.”

“We will Evan oh I’m so sorry.” She wraps her arms around me in a feeble attempt at comfort.

“Three.”

“I’ll kill him,” I growl.

“No we have to call the authorities,” Stacy shakes her head looking up at me and I meet her gaze. “We will find her.” She looks me directly in the eye and I believe her.

“Two.”

I crumble, Stacy’s sincerity is disarming.

“I can’t live without her Stacy,” it’s almost a wail of agony.

She smiles though it’s sad. “I know.”

“One.”

Happy New Year.