Chapter Five

Evan Jacobs

 *

I should have finished reading her file.

The shock of seeing me as her new client seemed to surprise her as much as it did me. There had not been any notification from the office yet that she had rescheduled, so I didn’t think I was in a rush to look over the case file. Besides, I am unsure about being her therapist as it is.

The woman was beautiful.

Beyond that, she made such an impression, I was genuinely curious about her. I wanted to see what made her tick. I couldn’t help the smile after that initial meeting. I don’t smile.

No turning back, I will have to speak with Kyle about this situation. I am now entering into a dual professional relationship. I planned to keep her at a wide distance…despite the way my heart skips a beat every time I see her…it annoyed me.

Being a professional, I cannot let this come into play. I have my career to protect, which has already taken a hit and I have been picking up the pieces. I am grateful for Kyle to give me this opportunity, despite the past. Then the first client I get is this woman. Feisty and stubborn, I can see why Dr. Mayweather called me. Ms. Winters is…unexpected.

“Evan, are you there man?” I blink, snapping out of my reverie.

“Yes, sorry Kyle where were we?”

It was Saturday morning and I was spending my weekend working. Kyle and I were going over blueprints with our contractor, Mike, for the office building we leased and were renovating.

The plans showed a lobby and reception area. There would be three offices, Kyle’s, mine and a third for a female therapist for those who are uncomfortable with a male. My thoughts jumped to Sonja’s reaction to me and I couldn’t help the smirk that came over my face.

Okay Evan back to work, I thought. There would be a staff room as well for lunches and breaks, the supply room and ladies and men’s restrooms all fit nicely in the rectangular building. The location was near the bay so the view would be peaceful and tranquil for the patients, a strategic therapeutic move.

The renovations were already underway and have been for a few months now. They should be completed by the time…my temporary dealings with Ms. Winters comes to an end. I have taken all of Dr. Mayweather’s clients and Sonja is the only one who had the most…colorful reaction.

I shook my head still in shock. I couldn’t believe she would be the one designing the website for our new company. That means I would have to see her outside of work and therapy possibly. I couldn’t figure out if I liked that or not or if it was a good or bad thing. My initial gut feeling tells me the former of both those, but my professional mind refuses to acknowledge it.

Stop worrying about it, I told myself. I shook off the thoughts and plunged myself into the conversation with Kyle and Mike. Making plans for what walls go where, colors, themes, edges and all things construction. I filled my mind with it to keep myself busy.

Honestly, I was very excited about this new practice with Kyle. He was a very good psychiatrist and we always worked well together. Being friends, we were able to anticipate each other’s needs or moods and that would make dealing with our patients go smoothly. We had not done any hiring yet or scouting, that would have to be started soon.

I chuckled to myself and my own audacity to say: ‘I would call’ the way she had when she stormed out of Mayweather’s office, now mine temporarily. It was quite true that my schedule has been filling up and quickly. I couldn’t help thinking I was glad to be busy. So I wouldn’t think about her and how her blue eyes seemed to pierce right through me.