Chapter 3

The first month of school passed by in a flurry of activity for the students. Football practice for Edward became a regular daily routine for him. His newfound popularity in his new school was able to give the football team respect and the students were interested in the sport. Although he initially thought that being made the team captain would cause some problems for the team, his worries were unfounded. Marco Gallo was not invested in football before Edward came along. Marco explained to him that he didn't like playing football for the school before because he was the only one who carried the team's weight. He had wanted to carry out plays from his favourite football clubs but his teammates simply couldn't execute them as he wished. He didn't blame them, since football wasn't a popular sport yet in the Philippines, but it did cause him to lose some team spirit. Now that Edward was here, Marco admitted to him that he was excited for the coming football inter-school tournament and would do all he could to help as co-captain.

Edward was able to convince his new teammates to hold football practice every afternoon after school hours. He also convinced them to have friendly practice games versus the nearby local neighbourhood during the weekends to be able to gauge their teamwork. Football occupied Edward's mind for the first few weeks of school, which was what he wanted. He was also able to form close friendships with Marco and Yong, and by extension, the Basketball team captain, Christian. Now, he didn't need to talk too much for people to feel comfortable around him. He has gotten back to the habit of observing other people closely.

First and foremost on his mind,

Heaven.

She was annoying.

She followed him everywhere. She and her squad disrupted practice. He didn't blame his male, teenaged teammates for being distracted by Heaven's antics; he blamed Heaven. She annoys him in class, always sticking to him like a leech, trying to converse with the boys. Didn't she have enough female friends?

She volunteered to be partnered with him on group projects. She always insisted they do their projects at his house. She had no creative input whatsoever in making their schoolwork, preferring to manage her social media accounts. Edward didn't know how to politely tell her to go the fuck away from him.

Second, some weird girl he heard was called Kisses.

She had black hair with overgrown bangs. She was pale, her eyes were called 'chinita' by his friends. She always looked fresh. She was always smiling. She was pretty.

He knows that he was the only one who's noticed Kisses' crush on Marco. A humungous, unrequited-love-his-girlfriend-is-her-close-friend type of crush. It made Edward laugh sometimes.

Schadenfreude.

Finding something funny in the pain of others.

He knows Marco doesn't notice, so Marco keeps on doing 'friendly' things to Kisses that he knows is being misconstrued by the female mind. He knows Vivoree doesn't notice, because that's just what Marco normally does.

But he has seen Kisses' face during Marco's friendly hugs. He has seen her glassy eyes when she glimpses Marco and Vivoree holding hands, tickling each other, and going home together. She has this 'dumbstruck face' that looks closer to hopeless than what he has heard Kisses explain herself to Maymay, clueless.

Now, how to use this information to his advantage.

He really didn't want to involve Kisses in his diabolical plans (insert evil Edward laugh). He's observed Kisses when she thought no one was looking (but she really should know better, a lot of the male population keeps her under 24 hour surveillance), and she was an okay type of girl. She was genuinely kind, like his older sister, Laura. She listens to other people, she' always there for her friends. She always had a ready smile, she talked to anyone who knew her (and he was sure she didn't know half of the people who came up to talk to her everyday). He's noticed her friends were used to Kisses being approached by all kinds of people, she just had some kind of aura. He's also noticed that she brings goodie bags for the street children she meets outside the school gates.

And no, I don't have a crush on her. I'm just observant.

And it would be a pain in the ass, liking Kisses Delavin. Because he's noticed Yong throwing discreet glances towards Kisses, and Christian isn't even trying to hide his feelings. Half of his football team that does not like Heaven, likes Kisses. And the girl obviously liked his bestfriend. So, no way is he gonna join that hell in a hand basket.

"Edward!"

Edward casually turned the page of the book he was reading. Heaven sat down beside him.

"This is a library, Heaven. People who come here expect to be able to read peacefully. By themselves."

"Oh yeah, saglit lang naman. I mean, I'll make this short. I'm throwing a back-to-school party at my house this weekend, wanna come? You can be my plus one!" Heaven whispered excitedly.

"I'm actually quite busy on the weekends. You know, have to wake up early for the practice games and all that."

"Oh, I asked Marco and he said he'd make sure to bring you to the party. It's the first social gathering of the year before the school's acquaintance party. You have to be there!"

"But-"

"And Marco said that this could be a bonding opportunity for the football team."

"Alright fine, I'll go to the bloody party," Edward slammed his book shut.

"You're my plus one ha?"

"I'll bring my plus one."

"WHAT!?!"

"Ms. Peralejo!" the librarian warned.

"WHO!?!" Heaven ignored the librarian completely.

Edward was already walking away from heaven, and without even glancing back at her, said, "Kisses."

Author's Note:

Let's pray my laptop be safe and sound.