Chapter Forty-Three

Începe de la început

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when Justin clears his throat. I turn my head to face him and he smirks atme.

"You hear anything I just said?"

"Nope."

Normally I would throw a sarcastic remark at him and he knows this if his confused expression is anything to go by.

"What? No smart remark?"

I shrug, "I knew you'd be expecting it. I like to change it up. I'm nothing if not unpredictable..."

"Yeah, sure. If you say so. We're heading this way."

I flick the reins onto Splash's neck and he moves in the new direction. I'm aware of Justin watching me but I don't comment on it. I wait for him to say something, because he is predictable and I know what he's going to do. What I'm not expecting, are the words he speaks.

"You're actually a pretty good rider, you know that?"

"Er....Ok...?"

Because that's not random at all.

"I've been watching the way you ride and I'm impressed with the progress you've made."

"I wasn't far wrong when I said you were a creeper."

"It's purely from a teacher's point of view, I assure you."

Do I see a tinge of pink on the tips of his ears? It's gone so quickly that I could have imagined it. Instead of ignoring it, I yank his chain about it.

"Of course it was. You need to get that obsession under control, dude. It can't be healthy for you. Heck, I'm not healthy for anyone..."

I chuckle at his expression and jog away again, leaving him stunned, trailing behind me.

For a big, tough guy he's very easy to rag on. Maybe he lets me get to him because it's all part of the game. You know what? I don't even care. I like annoying him. I like annoying people in general and I especially like making people angry. That is like one of my favorite things to do. I'll keep pushing until I get a reaction out of him.

By the time we get back to the barn, it's almost time to feed the horses and put them to bed. Once that is done, we make the horses' breakfasts and leave them stacked in the feed room. There are a few jobs left to do, so Justin asks everyone to pitch in. As soon as I see Palmer, I turn on my heel and walk out of the barn. I'm not staying in there with him.

Justin calls my name, but I don't even pause my steps as I shout over my shoulder, "I'll shovel the muck. I'm not staying here with him."

I don't leave fast enough to miss the Turd say, "Another person she hates. No surprises there. The list just keeps getting longer."

Justin warns him to keep his smart remarks to himself, but that's all I hear before I'm out of earshot.

I'm quietly seething as I shovel the muck up to the top of the pile. I hate this freakin' place. I hate that I'm not allowed to go home. I just hate everyone and everything at the moment; including myself. I hate the fact that whatever way I try to get rid of this ball of burning rage within me, Justin will use that as an excuse to keep me here longer.

I know someone is heading towards me before they reach me. I spin around to see who it is before they are behind me. I groan internally when I see Palmer heading in my direction.

I start to walk away when he calls my name. The anger inside me is simmering so much that I actually stop at his voice.

"What is going on, Ariya? Why do you hate me being here so much?"