The Girl Behind the Glasses

I was making my daily journey to Barnes and Noble. I have been going there to spend most of my time since I was about 11. When I first went in the store, I was mesmerized by all the books. I never thought there could be so many books in one place. The smell of coffee and hot chocolate hit my nose, and my grin suddenly became wider. My parents had to drag me out of the place so we could go home.

I reached the door and entered as I was greeted by a worker. "Hey, Audrey." Mia said. "Hi, Mia. How long do you have to work today?" I asked. Sometimes she would keep me company at her break while I was reading. She was as close to a friend that I think I would ever get. "Sorry, I have to work overtime so I think I am going to work through my break. Been trying to scrape up some more money." She says. She told me before that she had a big family so money was an issue for them right now. "It's okay, I probably wouldn't be much company with my nose in a book. I hope you can get more money for your family." I saw a customer approach her. "Thanks, I will see you later." Mia says quickly before getting back to work.

I walked to the line in Starbucks, and searched through my purse for my money. I drooled over the treats in the window of the store, but decided against the snack because of the calories. I reached the front of the line and asked the worker for a hot chocolate. The worker asked for a name with an annoyed tone. I gave him my name and walked up to where I got my drink. With the hot cocoa in my hand, I went to grab the book that I was reading, and search for a chair. Before I opened my book, I took a sip of my refreshment. The warm liquid traveled down my throat and into my stomach. Hot cocoa was never as good as in the winter. After a couple sips my hands traveled to my book. And I opened it, which took me into another world.

.........

Tyler's POV

"C'mon mate. You are slowing us down. The faster we can get there, the faster we can have some fun." My best friend Thomas complained. "I only have to make one stop at Starbucks. I think you will survive." "Fine then just get me a chocolate smoothie." "Okay."

I parked in the parking lot closest to the building and open my car door to get out. "Remember, don't be too long!" I heard Thomas say. I rolled my eyes annoyed at his comment. "As you wish, master." I ran to the building trying to get out of this cold faster. I cut through Barnes and Noble to get to Starbucks. I took a deep breath in smelling a mixture of coffee, and Frappuccino's. I then glanced at the long line of people. "Great. I am going to be here awhile." I said to no one but myself. I sighed and went to the end. When I finally got two drinks in my hand, I opened the door to the exit and the cold air hit my face. When I walked out, there was something missing.

Something big.

Thomas, and my car were missing. I felt my pocket vibrate, and I pulled out my phone. It was a text message from Thomas.

To: Tyler From: Thomas

Hey, Tyler. You were taking too long inside, so I decided to drive your car to the party and have fun by myself. I will pick you up around 6. Wish me luck with the girls. ;-)

If you were to say that I was mad, that would be an understatement. He was dead when he got here. The least he could do is not have me buy his stupid drink. I guess I was stuck here for a while. This was not how I was planning to spend my weekend.

Before I was turned into an icicle, I went back into the store. I found a chair at the café, and started to sip on my drink I ordered. I couldn't help but notice a teenager sitting in a lazy boy with her feet up on the arm of the chair, and her back resting on the other. Her face was buried in a book and she didn't look like she was getting out of it anytime soon. I couldn't see her face, but I could already tell that she was beautiful. Her long brown hair was up in a pony-tail as I could see the curl in her hair. There were glasses that rested on her ears.