Can't Breathe: Epilogue

Epilogue

Five years later...

Little Jacob crawled up in her lap to see his baby sister.  “Can I hold her?”

Brent ruffled his son’s black hair.  “Son, she was just born a few hours ago.  Let’s let your momma hold her for a while.  She’s been waiting fifteen years for this.”

Robin raised her eyes to her husband and smiled lovingly at him through thick tears.  “She’s beautiful,” she whispered.  Brent leaned over and kissed her.  

“Just like you, sweetheart.”

“What are we gonna call her?” Jacob asked, wiggling to tuck himself under Robin’s free arm.

“Lucy?” Brent asked.  Robin shook her head.  

“No, I’m thinking my great-great-grandmother Evelyn might need a second chance at living and finding love in the perfect man,” Robin said, snuggling with her handsome son ad her precious daughter.

“Evelyn?” Brent asked.  “I kind of like that.  Evelyn Poole...we can call her Evie or Eve.  What about a middle name?”

“Brooks,” Robin announced.  “Evelyn Brooks Poole.  The family curse started with her, and now it will end with her.”

“Darn tootin’ it will,” Brent claimed stubbornly.  “No little girl of mine will ever get her heart broken.”

Robin grinned at him.  “Not with a daddy like you.”

Jacob sighed, “Evie...I like that,” and he laid in his momma’s arms until he fell asleep, and Brent and Robin got a few rare minutes of privacy.  There was still saddness in Robin’s eyes, but only a little, and only on occassion...and she grinned a lot more.