Chapter One

"Maya Nicks. 17 years old, and female." The judge looked up from my file. "And why are you here today, Maya?"
     "Doesn't the file include that?" My famous cocky grin spread across my face.
    "Indeed it does. However, you will tell me yourself, because I said so." He returned the smirk.
     "I broke into the pet shop, Sir." My voice trembled slightly.
    "Why?"
   "The pets...animals, I guess...Sir, they abuse them there. They are never let out of their cages. And the employees, well, they have been seen hitting the animals for no reason. I was trying to save them, Sir."
   "And do you have evidence of this abuse, Ms. Nicks?"
   "Yes, Sir." I handed over an envelope, containing several hundred pictures from over the last six months.
   "Why not hand these over to the police?" He hadn't looked up from the pictures, looks of disgust were pasted on his face.
   "When I went to them two months ago, they laughed at me, telling me to mind my own business." Anger was beginning to fill me once more.
   "So you decided to handle it yourself. Admirable. But still illegal. What does the Council suggest?" He turned to the panel of forty elders from the community.
   "Her mother, Anna Sayers, lives in Ashland, Tangia. The town is located in the center of the Wombay Desert. Our recommendation, is that Maya is sent to live with her there." Ricky Bails, the head of the council answered. How I despise that man.
   "And so it will be. Maya, we will arrange the transportation to Ashland, and contact your mother. You have one week to get your affairs in order."
   I rolled my eyes. "Joy. Move in with the woman who abandoned me. Thanks. Am I dismissed?"
  "You may go."
  I grabbed my bag and left the courthouse, ignoring the masses outside. At least I won't have to adjust too much. As far as I know, the Wombay Desert is similar to the Mojave Desert here in the States.
   Sighing, I got into my truck and started up the engine. Instead of heading home, like any normal person, I went to the Reservation's high school. Maybe today, I'd get some answers. The parking lot was empty, but I still locked my doors. Never know who decided to fuck around on the Res today from the surrounding areas. Thank you Stephanie Meyers, for getting people hyped about us...
    I slipped between the school and the trees. About 30 yards behind the school, lies a cemetery. My father resides there now. And no one knows how he died.
  I'd quickly made my way through the maze of trees and headstones. I don't even think about where I'm headed anymore. Dad's grave is my comfort place, and has been for the last four years. Can't blame Uncle Sam for being at wits end with me. Since Dad passed, I'd been fighting back on a lot of things.
   "Daddy, they're sending me to live with Anna. I guess I messed up by trying to save the animals. I need your guidance, Daddy. And I need answers. What happened to you?" Tears ran down my face as I knelt down.
    Just then, a gentle breeze of wind passed by. I felt a hand on my shoulder, in the exact position Dad would rest his.
    "Daddy, is that you?" I lifted my head.
    The hand moved from my shoulder to my face, wiping away my tears.
   "Please, Daddy. I have to know before Friday..." I choked back more tears.
   The trees rustled with the wind, and I felt as though I was being pulled towards the wind. 'Follow me', the wind whispered.
    And I did.