Chapter 31: Saralee

A gentle breeze drifted through the open window as I stood before it, gazing out at the city. I wore a light red, knee-length dress, which was certainly more comfortable than my usual, heavy robes. The lights in my suite shone brightly, and for the first time in more than a century, the decorative fireplace in the corner was alive. I had chosen to temporarily forget my usual aversion to fire. 

Spending hours placing them strategically in the most optimal locations throughout the luxuriously furnished room, I had finally lit an array of scented candles. After all, I, the Ice Queen of Lessaenes, would tolerate nothing less than the best possible aroma in my quarters. 

"You look awfully happy, Sara," Airel observed. Being my brother and one of the very few people in my court who truly knew me, he must have been quite surprised by the unusually light atmosphere in my suite as well as the decidedly anomalous smile that graced my flawless features. 

"I suppose I am," I smiled, watching Viviana through an Aural Projection. She had taken Camia out to hunt, just as I had instructed. She sat, reclined against her Nyvus' back, as it ate a freshly caught deer. On a normal day, I would criticize her cotton dress as being far too lowly to be worn by any female of her status, but I, in my exceedingly positive mood, chose to overlook the trivial fault. "Preparations for the Festival are going wonderfully, and we have successfully cut down the Flame. I suppose there is nothing else to worry about," I added, justifying the positive aura that I must've been exuding. 

"There is the question of Tara, Thorel, and Viviana," Airel said. "If they really are planning something with the surviving Flames, we may be in trouble." 

"Oh, Airel," I laughed. Even after three centuries as an Iceheart, he was still just as full of doubts as he had been as a child. Despite having stood by my side for so many years, he still did not have full confidence in my infallibility. 

"They aren't going to be able to do anything: not while we are finding about every plan that they make in real time, as they make it. I have cameras almost everywhere, and can place Projections where I do not. In fact, I have a Projection on Vivi right at this very moment. They aren't going to take any major rebellious action without alerting us through something." 

"If you say so..." Airel sighed. "I just wouldn't get too excited so soon. Victory isn't certain until Tara is successfully married to that jungle rat. Thorel's reaction to that would tell us whether or not he is truly loyal. It would also show every Lessaenite, Kilaenaian, and Rhenan who ever wanted to rebel that you, our wonderful Ice Queen, are truly capable of anything." 

"I suppose that's true," I nodded. "But, then again, what's there to stop the wedding? Although we failed to kill them, thanks to the mysterious informant who managed to alert them of our advances ahead of time, most of the Flames are lost in the jungle. They may have been a sizable threat to us in a large group, but alone, they are nothing but a bunch of harmless Rhenans. Not to mention, the one and only machine for manufacturing the Flameheart Serum has been destroyed. We are just as immortal as we always have been. Both Eleanna Myers and the legacy of Teritiana Faerlen have failed miserably in their treasonous task."

"Indeed, they have," Airel smiled. "Once again, you prevail. Your intelligence never ceases to astound me." 

"It's more experience, really," I say. "My natural intelligence is no greater than that of any well-educated Royal." 

"It isn't like you at all to be humble."

"It's almost the Festival of Lumys. I've chosen to be a little less evil than usual for the next week or so, in honor of a certain moon goddess. People make more mistakes during the festive season, so it would only be fair to give them a little more leeway," I shrugged. "And speaking of leeway, what are you doing in the palace? The next Assembly meeting isn't for weeks! You should go do...whatever princes do to have fun."

"Not with my kids running around all over the place, I can't," Airel laughed. "If I step out of Icicle Hall for more than a second, they're going to break at least five things and potentially get someone arrested."

"I'm sure they're not that bad," I retorted. "The twins are absolutely adorable."

Almost as if my mention of them had summoned the five-year-old princesses, I instantly heard the sound of my door slamming quite violently against the wall. 

"Daaaaaaad!" Jenalee screeched, running into the room. Hanalee followed close behind. 

"What?" Airel sighed, not caring to hide his frustration. 

"It's mine!" Jenalee held up a muddy, blue blouse that was far too big for her. "I found it!" 

"No, I did!" Hanalee protested. 

"Wait..." my eyes narrowed as I studied the garment. "Give me that!" 

I snatched the blouse out of the hands of my young niece, examining it carefully. It was clearly a weave preferred by the warrior clan, tied off with twin instead of with a more common zipper or thread. 

"Where did you find this?" I asked, my tone growing more serious.

"In the garden, Aunt Saralee," Jenalee chirped. 

"No, I found it in the garden!" Hanalee protested. 

"Alright, alright," I sighed. "Why don't you two go check out all of the Linaberry plants they're bringing in for the Festival of Lumys. There's sure to be some delicious Linaberry tart downstairs." 

"Linaberry tart!" Jenalee yelled excitedly. Forgetting the blouse, she rushed out of the royal suite, followed by her sister. 

"Why are you so interested in that thing?" Airel frowned, pointing at the blouse. 

"It belongs to Holly Myers." 

"Holly Myers?" Airel gasped. "As in, the Holly Myers? Eleanna's daughter? Are you sure?" 

"Yes, and yes," I nodded, pursing my lips. "This is bad news." 

"Why?" 

"The Radicals are in Glaisse."