Chapter 24: An Unwanted Birthday Present and Confessions

Start from the beginning

An ambulance and a police car showed up shortly after. Rosabella was placed on a stretcher with Rory and Derik riding in the ambulance with her. Maddie was placed in handcuffs and was put into the backseat of the police car. Frau Garrett followed the ambulance in her own car while Mrs. Pamplin followed the police car in her own. Rosabella was slowly losing blood and was going in and out of consciousness. Derik held her hand and squeezed it so she would know he was there. No one had seen this coming. No one had even suspected that Maddie could do such a thing, least of all to her own best friend.

The ambulance soon reached the hospital and Rosabella was taken into a trauma room. Derik watched as she was taken away and was left with the only thing he could do was wait in the waiting room with her father. They sat side by side as their fears for Rosabella overcame them. Derik wept for his beloved as did Rory for his precious daughter. Derik was also saddened by the fact that he hadn't been able to give Rosabella her birthday gift. He had been very proud of himself when he was able to craft a small jewelry box that doubled as a music box. He fashioned it so it could contain small jewelry and would play the chorus of her favorite song when opened. It was a product and gift of love. He couldn't go on without telling her how he felt.

~~~

Rosabella's eyes fluttered open as a beeping invaded her ears. Hydrogen peroxide and disinfectants assaulted her nostrils as a blinding white light overwhelmed her vision. She blinked a few times before the beige-tiled ceiling came into focus. A hand was holding her right hand as sobs resonated from that side of the room. Pressure was being placed onto the mattress just below her hand and beside her thigh. She turned her head to the source of the sobs and found Derik bent over the bed with his head resting on his arms folded beneath his face while his hand held hers in a tight grip. A small smile crept its way across her face as she squeezed his hand. Her face contorted into a wince as pain shot through her from her shoulder blade. Memories of her birthday party flooded her mind and the pain of Maddie's betrayal pierced her all over again. Tears welled up in her eyes as both the physical and emotional pain tore at her heart. Maddie had stabbed her in the back, figuratively and literally. Rosabella gasped out from the pain her supposed best friend had inflicted on her.

Derik's head shot up at the feeling of her fingers constricting around his hand. She was finally awake. His sobs ceased and a gasp emanated from her throat as her face twisted up. He couldn't even imagine the pain she must be feeling. His poor Rose was lying in a hospital bed with bandages covering the entirety of her right shoulder and chest. He was reminded of the present in his bag that was intended to be given to her earlier. His thoughts were interrupted when he heard her gasp. He leaned closer to her to see what was wrong.

"What's wrong, meine Rose?" he asked softly.

It took her a moment before answering. "I just remembered what happened." She paused for a moment as tears formed in her eyes. "I can't believe Maddie did this to me. We were best friends since first grade." A ball had formed in her throat as the emotions hit her with an overwhelming intensity. A sob broke free from her lips as a shudder traveled through her body. Her shoulder was sore and was disturbed by the shudder. "Ow!"

Derik leaned forward and gently wrapped his arms around her torso being careful of her injured shoulder. He rubbed his hand up and down her back along her spine. The motion relieved some of the tension in her back easing the pain throbbing from her shoulder. Her head rested on his shoulder as sobs wracked through her body. They slowed down with each rub of her back as did the tears pouring down her face. He wanted so badly to console her but didn't know what else to do. He then remembered her unopened present from him. He slowly pulled away from her to look her in the eyes.

"I know that you're in physical and emotional pain, but I think I may have something that might cheer you up." He moved over to the chair he had been sitting in where his bag was that contained her present. He removed the package from the bag and turned around to present it to her. "It occurred to me that you never had the chance to open my gift; maybe it will bring you some joy."

A Rose and A Phantom (Descendants of Classics Book 1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara