Chapter-1

-Previously in DiT-

This had to be a lie. He wanted to influence us with his note. I had an urge to tear this note into pieces but I was curious to read ahead. So, I continued.

"But I'm afraid the price of truth will be higher than we all are willing to pay." I let out a huffed sarcastic laugh as I read the next sentence. "Just do me one favor, darling."

I was going to read the next line too but I stopped. I blinked twice to make sure I had read it right.

"What favor does he want?" Nate asked.

I read the last line.

"When you find me, kill me."

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool."- Stephen King

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Chapter-1

-Karen-

Brushing his hair backward and flexing his biceps, Jon kept checking his reflection in the dark window glass of the house. There was no point of asking him to stop being stupid. Nate kept staring at the closed door, while I nervously tapped my feet on the ground, before bringing my hand to the doorbell. Somebody had to do it, so why not me.

I pressed it and waited for the person to open the door.

"Get ready with your fangs if he attacks us, vampire," Jon nudged Nate's elbow. Nate took a step away from him silently. "He has a nice house. I mean, I have walked by this house a thousand times and never really paid attention to it. I had my eyes on this blue VW Bug though."

I immediately turned my head in the direction where he was pointing. The garage door was open and a shiny dark blue Beetle was parked in there. If the garage door was open and the car was there, Zayasu Ukyo had to be home too.

Jon was right; we had passed by this house a lot of times. It was at the end of our street. Because it wasn't really important to keep track of strangers, I never cared much. If I'd only known that a wizard lived here, the situation would have been different.

A muffled voice called from inside the house as footsteps approached the door.

I held my breath, backing away from the door.

The door opened, revealing a very handsome guy. There was a sudden burst of energy. I could feel his strong aura around him; all enthusiastic and benevolent. "Sorry, I was getting ready for my... ah hello?" His dark eyes landed on us.

"Are you Zayasu Ukyo?" Jon asked, using his best fake British accent.

"Yeah," He tilted his head, analyzing us.

He was actually younger than I had imagined him to be. He had straight black hair, intentionally messed up in all directions. I could have said he looked like he had come straight out of some Manga but his eyes were smaller. The black stud earring in his left ear made him look more attractive only. He was wearing a gray button-down shirt over black jeans, and he looked ready to go somewhere.

Why did Victor's friend have to be this good-looking?

"You are Karen," He said in his deep voice. It wasn't a question. Then he looked behind me. "You two must be Nathan and Jon."

I felt completely stupid for staring at him so shamelessly. I cleared my throat. "How do you know us?"

"I know a lot of things. C'mon in," He opened the door wider for us to walk in. "Don't stand there gawking at me. You all look like you're doing the mannequin challenge."