[ 25 ] prodigal son

Start from the beginning

   "We should probably clear the area," Jinny suggested.

   "Yeah, I think that's a good idea," Raven responded with a nod, looking round to her.

   "Okay, then." Bellamy raised his voice to the others. "We move in formation, no straggling, weapons hot. We got to get back before dark."

   Jinny went over and smacked him in the back with the butt of her rifle. "Hey, I thought I was the Commander around here?"

   He rubbed the sore spot with a small wince. "Right, sorry," he mumbled. "Command away."

   "That's okay, I guess down here you're my... Major." She smiled brightly. "Congratulations on your promotion."

   He chuckled lightly. "Until the rest of the ships arrive, then I'll be no one again."

   "You kiddin' me?" She punched him lightly on the arm. "We'll hold an entire ceremony and make everyone watch it. They couldn't have done it without the both of us."

   He looked at her with a slight frown before letting out a small sigh while nodding. "Thanks."

   Jinny watched him walk away with an air of dejection that made her feel like a nail had just been driven through her heart. It was like a series of unfortunate events was just unfolding in front of her very eyes. She ignored the feelings, choosing to focus on her responsibilities instead. But throughout the entire journey back to camp, her eyes would cross his and her mind would wander back to that moment in the flower field.

   It was about an hour after dusk when they had crossed the ravine and entered the familiar copse of trees that surrounded the dropship. The smell of smoke greeted them as they approached the gate, where a flurry of activity and gaggle of teens calling their names awaited them. Jinny frowned in confusion when she suddenly found herself surrounded and Monty started speaking to her rapidly.

   "Connor and Derek heard one of the trip wires go off, so they went out to take a look and you will not believe who they found all bloodied and beaten up and looking like he just got tortured—"

   "He did get tortured," Monroe supplied.

   "Wait, who are we talking about?!" Jinny asked in frustration.

   Monty paused and exchanged looks with Octavia beside him. "You're not going to like it."

   She sighed. "Tell me."

   "It's Murphy," Octavia said, wincing in anticipation.

   "WHAT?!" Jinny and Bellamy both shouted at the same time before storming the dropship with their guns cocked.

   "Oh, God—" Clarke started. "They're gonna kill him."

   "Where is he? Tell me where!" Jinny demanded at the top of her voice as she slapped the parachute screen out of her way. The rest of their gunners were standing guard inside, reminiscent of the time when she had just gotten arrested. Bellamy stopped beside her as the both of them locked eyes with Murphy who looked at them with abject terror. His hair was greasy and knotted, cuts filled with blood and dirt caking every inch of his skin.

   "Everyone but Connor and Derek out," Bellamy barked. "Now!"

   Clarke pushed through the flood of teens trickling out of the dropship and stopped next to them, inspecting Murphy with her eyes. Finn joined them a moment later, his expression shocked from the pitiful state the boy was in.

   "He claims he was with the Grounders," Derek told them.

   "We caught him trying to sneak back into camp," Connor added.