"Did you see anyone in the house Oakley?" He demanded.

I shook my head. "I don't want to die Scott."

He wiped the tear that had fallen from my eyes, and hugged me tightly.

"I won't let that happen." He kissed the top of my head. "I promise."

***

The funeral was horrific, hearing people's screaming and crying was just terrible.

All of us kids and Scott all sat at the front of the church, just waiting for it to be all over. All Mary's family was there, and I didn't know any of them. Mary didn't really get along with any of her family. I don't know why they here.

Aunt Kelly told a speech about her life and what it was like during their childhood together.

There wasn't a dry eye in the room. It was inspirational, it made me wonder what I could do to be like her.

Then came my turn. I was the one who spoke about her life, since I was with her.

Standing up in front of a crowd really wasn't my thing. Especially when my face was already red from crying.

Mary had lived an amazing life even though it was cut so short. She was a great friend to all; Mary was the kind of friend that stands by you when you need somebody to be there. She once saved my life, and I will be forever grateful for that.

If only I could turn back the clock and change time, I would do anything to bring her back. I don’t think I ever re-paid her for bringing me into her life when I was only one, but If I could I still don’t think that would be enough.

For though’s who new Mary, you would know, she wasn’t a women to just sit around and do nothing. Mary wasn’t told to suddenly give up her life for the 15 orphan’s like myself. She chose it herself, and because of her 15 kids was able to live. Because of her, I’m the way I am today. She was the best Mother anyone could have.

Mary didn’t have a normal adulthood. How could she when she was always occupied with us. She never went out, spent time with her friends. Nothing like that. But that’s what I admire about her. She felt so strong about taking care of me, she would never leave. Ever.
She was always there, whenever one of us needed her, she was there for you.

I don’t think I will ever forget her smell either. She wore the same perfume every day, for 15 years. It smelt like roses and lavender, but it also smelt safe and calming. I was always wanting to smell like that at school, thinking if I could smell like her, I could be like her.

What is it that we remember when we think of Mary? I think everyone who knew her very well would agree with me on this. It was her sense of humour. She was the kind of person that would make everyone laugh so hard that they’d end up crying. Who could forget about the stupid jokes she told when she was tired?  How about all her blonde jokes? Far out! Just thinking about those jokes still makes me laugh. She was so out there when she starts those jokes. That is what I will truly miss about Mary. She could make me laugh when I am really sad. She always cheered me up when she knew I just had a bad day. That’s the trademark of Mary. She always wanted to make people happy.

She wanted to make all of us happy. She did that without even trying. She touched our lives, because she was always there. Throughout my childhood, she was my inspiration. As I got older, I realized what type of a person I wanted to be. I wanted to be like her. Caring and loving to people, strangers even. We fought all the time, Mary and I, but I guess in a way, that’s how we showed that we loved and cared for each other. 

Mary’s death was sudden, and no accident. I remember when I got home could not believe it. Mary was too young but as it slowly occurred to me I have realized that Mary certainly lived her life to the fullest.

Mary was well-loved and had done so many things on earth for us but I’m sure she’ll do much more in heaven. I will forever be grateful to have known Mary. I will forever be grateful that Mary was there at the right place and at the right time to save my life.