Chapter the Eigth

GUYS HOLD UP IF YOU LOOK UP MILEVEN IN THE SEARCH BAR THINGY MY STORY IS THE FIRST TO COME OKAY IVE OFFICIALLY PEAKED WITH MY FANFICTION ABOUT 12 YEAR OLDS, AREN'T I JUST THE COOLEST ALRIGHT GO READ NOW THIS IS THE HIGHEST POINT I WILL EVER REACH, ITS ALL DOWNHILL FROM HERE

Mike's POV

So the date went well. I know because when Dustin got in the car he kissed Max on the cheek and she gave a sickening un-maxlike smile. Will, sitting in the front, looked at me and we both fake gagged and then continued the drive to school in silence, that silence becoming suffocatingly thick when I drive past Lucas's house without stopping.

When we get to school, Dustin and Max walk off somewhere holding hands. "Ugh, they don't even have class together." Will groans, slamming his head against my locker. I chuckle and get out my books, heading for math as the bell rings.

And then I see her.

The mysterious girl I met at the party, coincidentally sitting next to my usual seat. I force down my creepily large smile and walk over.

"Well hello again," she smiles, giving me a little wave. I return the gesture and smile back, the smile melting into a scowl as I see Troy walk over from behind her.

"Well hey there, aren't you a pretty-" He starts.

"Hey, why don't you fuck off?" She snaps, barely even turning to look at him. The class oohs and he struggles for a retort as our teacher, Mrs. Davenport walks in.

"Alright, hush now class, so as you have probably seen, sitting by Mike is a new student. I'm supposed to tell you where she's from and all that but guess what? I don't care so open your books to page 273." Jane puts a hand over her mouth to stifle a giggle and I quietly laugh with her.

Throughout the class period we exchange snarky comments and jokes, even getting yelled at by Mrs. Davenport once.

"Hey, come sit with my friends at lunch." I tell her as the bell rings.

"We'll see." She smirks.

"Hate to break it to you but uh, don't think you have a multitude of friends rushing to invite you."

She feigns hurt. "How dare you sir! Why just call upon my legions of adoring fans, fighting to invite me to eat lunch with them."

"I'll see you at lunch," I say, laughing.

"See ya, loser!" She yells after me as I walk to my next class. I laugh, shaking my head.

As I walk to class, I begin to wonder about why I feel so different to Jane. I haven't liked anyone since El, what's different now? Of course Jane isn't vapid or shallow like some girls I've interacted with but I've still hung out with girls who were intelligent, interesting, unique and while I enjoyed there presence, I didn't actually romantically like them. So what's changed?

After completely zoning out in my next 3 classes, distracted by these thoughts, lunch rolls around and I'm immediately taken over by butterflies and nervous sweating. I'm going to see Jane again.

After psyching myself up by my locker for a few minutes, I walk to lunch, seeing Jane already sitting with Dustin and Will.

I walk over and ask her how she knew where to sit.

"I know who your friends are, idiot. Also, I have Art with Will, Art and English and French with Max, and French with Dustin." She responds matter-of-factly and I nod, sitting down.

I am soon followed by Max, slamming her tray on the table.

"Why, why are the worst guys so intent on sticking their hands down my pants?!?" She yells. We all laugh but then stop as she glares at us all, stopping at Jane to greet her and smile, already having become friends in their shared classes.

Will, without looking up from the book he's immersed in, quietly drawls, "because you're hot."
After the entire table gets silent, he looks up to see all of us staring at him.

"What?" He asks cluelessly.

"Please, explain," Dustin coughs and Will sighs.

"And um also, Jane's hot. Why does she not get tormented?" Max adds on, just as Will is opening his mouth.

"Jane's pretty, you're hot. Pretty means you see her and just want a relationship and flowers and soft background music. Hot means guys see you and want to ravish you in a cave."

"whAT?!?" Dustin shrieks and Will sighs again.

"Oh calm down. Look it's just science right. Jane's cute. She's small and has a pretty face and cute hair and everything. Max, you're a different story. You've got the bright red hair and pale skin and green eyes which equal hot face. And then you're tall but skinny but more like athletically lean rather than skinny and your legs are like 4 miles long and your-"

"Ok that's enough of that now," Dustin interjects, wrapping his arm around Max.

"My god, you've only been on one date," Will says, rolling his eyes, "Anyway, Max, how many times have sketchy guys in sketchy places tried to actually get in your pants and not just words but like actions?"

"Um," Max looks up and counts on her fingers. "10 I think."

Jane's eyes pop out of her head. "WHAT?" Dustin and I yell at the same time.

"But wait guys," Will says, holding up his hands, "how far have any of them gotten?"

"Uh, one like totally ripped my shirt but that's it."

"See?" Will says. "Our Max is a tough girl, she can handle herself."

We all calm down a bit and then Dustin laughs.

"Dude, every last argument you had for your heterosexuality flew out the window when you described everything about Max's body that made guys want to sleep with her with a completely straight face."

Jane and Max laugh loudly and Will goes bright red up to his ears.

"B-b-but n-n-no cause like n-no but I-I-I-I'm, I-I'm l-l-like, b-but," Will sputters.

"Oh young Will," I laugh, patting his head, "you can't avoid your destiny."

Everyone, except Will, laughs, the sound of our high spirits drifting through the entire cafeteria, filling our stomachs up with a feeling of happiness we have become strangers to.

So the last half of this was kind of just to give it length but I hope y'all enjoyed it.