Chapter the Fifth

MIKE'S POV

    I throw open the door to my house. Usually when I come home from school my mom asks me how my day was and ruffles my hair. I used to just duck and run away but now that I have about 3 inches on her, I normally just ignore her completely. I know, it's mean but I've been in a bit of predicament the last 2 years.

    This time though when I get home from school and my mom does her usual thing, I beam up at her and say "School was great! How was your day?" She's too dumbfounded to respond.

    "So mom, the boys are here and we were just going to hang out in the basement for a bit. Is that okay?" I ask. My mom just slightly nods, eyes wide and mouth slightly ajar. I yell at the boys to come in and 3 other 14-year-old boys rush through the house and down into the basement, leaving my mom in a cloud of confused dust.

    When the boys come downstairs, they see El playing with the millennium falcon toy that Dustin had tried to get her to levitate when we had first met her. Dustin squeals a bit and sprints up to her, engulfing her in a bone-crushing hug. I laugh and look at Lucas who's sporting a smile threatening to take over his entire face. Lucas runs up and pushes Dustin out of the way, also wrapping his arms around her and yelling about how much we missed her while she was gone. Since Lucas is now a solid 10 inches taller than El, he ends up picking her off the floor.

    I laugh and go to sit next to El on the couch. Dustin and Lucas sit down too and start to talk about everything she missed and how crazy I got when she disappeared. She seemed amused by everything and her eyes shone like the stars. I sat and watched her, starting to regret inviting the boys over considering I had only found her late last night and I hadn't really had a time to talk to her, especially alone.

WILL'S POV

    As all of the boys began to catch up with this new, strange girl, I stand in the corner and watched. Who was this girl? Why does she mean so much to the boys?

    As her eyes lit up and the corners of her mouth slid upwards into laughter while talking to the boys, it becomes clear to me why Mike is so infatuated with her. She is kind of cute.

    In fact, as the boys are only focusing on her face, they miss Mike scooting closer and closer to El on the couch and actually interlacing his fingers with hers. She squeezes his hand back without taking her eyes off the boys.

    I get why Mike went crazy when she left.