"Are you his family?"

"Friend" Zayn replies quickly. "He doesn't have a family"

The doctor nods slowly and soon, Harry is by his side as well. "I'll just need you to sign some papers" Zayn nods immediately ready to ask him how Louis is before the doctor is speaking again, "Any of you two live with him?"

"I do"

"Did he show any signs he's not feeling well in the last couple of hours?" Zayn blinks. How would he know? Fuck. He should've known that. He should've checked on Louis first, he should've stayed by his side instead of getting drunk. Fuck.

"I don't- I don't know" he mumbles and the doctor nods slowly again.

"Is he on drugs?" Is he? The hell?! Zayn is supposed to know all of these stuff, but he's as confused as ever.

"I don't ... know" he repeats. Harry turns to look at him with a frown but doesn't say anything. The doctor seems to notice too and stops.

"We believe your friend got poisoned by a drug. A strong one. Usually it'd take from five to ten days to begin its functions" Zayn's eyes widen. "It's not deadly. But it's damaging. Reaching the brain cells" Harry thinks that Zayn stopped breathing. "We're working on it, and hopefully the damage isn't that bad, but I can't tell you the results until tomorrow. He'll have to stay here over night, and no, you can't stay with him. I'm sorry"

Because Zayn knows the most details about Louis, he's the one filling the papers with the necessary info needed. Harry would've done it for him seeing how horrible his state has become, but he just stands there waiting for him to finish. Why would Louis do drugs?

But the same question runs through Zayn's mind as well. Louis wouldn't. He won't do drugs just because of Doug or work or whatever other reason that is unimportant. Louis preferred to run away when his life became too much to handle, Louis would find a solution instead of killing himself. Louis ... Louis didn't do it.

"All done? Ready to go home?" Harry asks quietly from his side and Zayn turns to face him. What if ... What if Louis found out about Harry? What if he knew about Doug? Was he that desperate he chose to damage himself more instead of Zayn? Fuck. The mere thought of it makes Zayn's skin burn.

"Do you think Louis hates me?" Harry furrows his brows at Zayn's sudden question. If there's anyone Louis loves genuinely it's Zayn. "That he wanted to leave?" Zayn's eyes are bigger, glossy, and the panic Harry sees in them isn't something he likes to see very often. "That he got so tired of me he drugged himself-"

"No" Harry cuts him sharply, hands reaching up to hold Zayn's shoulders to stop him from shaking. "Louis wouldn't leave you behind. And he would be okay because he'll fight for you. He'll fight to stay alive for you" he offers a smile, "He'd live for you ... because you're family, and I haven't seen anyone with the amount of care you two share with each other" Zayn's gaze shift downwards but he seems less troubled. "Come on, I'll drive you home" he doesn't wait for Zayn's protests and they don't even come.

=====

Zayn stays silent during the ride home, and when Harry follows him inside the house, Zayn doesn't say anything about it.

Louis wouldn't poison himself. Zayn would have to ask about who Louis interacts with more often, maybe there's a missing detail but ... Who would want to hurt Louis in the first place? Five to ten days, he'd have to ask Louis about what he ate in that period, if he drank something or took some sort of a pill. He doesn't realize he'd been sitting on Louis' bed for too long until he's lying on it and dozes off. He might have also forgotten about Harry being inside the house.