Chapter 2

"I don't know what you're talking about," I tell Demi as I begin to get annoyed.

"I heard you throwing up in there!" She practically screams in my face.

"I wasn't feeling well," I scream back.

Her expression on her face is telling me that she doesn't believe a word I am saying to her.

She run her fingers through her long hair and takes a deep breath.

"Look Sarah, I know what I heard in there," she says much more calmly than before. "I'm not mad, I just want to help. I know what it's like to be at that low point in life, and nobody deserves to be there."

She sits down on the off white couch I was on earlier, pulling my hand with her, signaling me to sit down with her.

"Can you please tell me what's up?" Demi asks me with worried eyes.

"Nothing's wrong with me! I'm telling you the truth," I tell her, making sure to avoid eye contact.

We sit there in uncomfortable silence for what seemed like hours, but was probably only a few minutes.

"Please stop lying to me Sarah," she says calmly, breaking the silence. "I see all the signs. Your cheeks, your teeth, your hands."

"Wow thanks for calling me ugly," I say to her with a little laugh to try and lighten the mood.

She's still staring at me intensely, ignoring my comment.

"Fine! Okay! I was purging!" I tell her beginning to feel guilty for lying.

"Can I ask why?" She asked, with relief in her voice because I finally told her the truth.

"What do you expect," I tell her sighing. "I'm a teenage girl, growing up in a generation where weighing 80 pounds is beautiful."

She remained quiet. I think she understood that what I said was true, and she couldn't change that perspective of society.

"Will you let me help you?" She asks me timidly.

"Help me with what?" I ask back, knowing her answer but not wanting to hear it.

"The problems you are dealing with," she tells me.

"What problems?" I yell to her, "I'm not the one with the problems! It's society! Try to fix them."

I began to get up and walk out, but I looked back to see Demi's face. It looked so innocent, so upset, almost like somebody just ruined her life.

I felt bad that I yelled at her so I sat down again.

"I'm sorry I yelled, but I really don't need any help. I'm fine," I tell her, trying to sound confident in my answer.

"Please," she said. Not in a whine, not in a cry, but in a tone where she actually seemed to care about me. "Can I at least have your number? I'm not going to give up on trying to help you."

I almost told her no, but then I didn't want to upset her anymore than I already have. I took her phone and typed in my number quickly.

When I was done I stood up and got ready to leave and go back home. Before I could get out of the door though, she pulled me into a hug.

She whispered in my ear, quiet enough that if anyone else was in the room I would be the only one to hear it, "I know what it's like. Society. Having such high expectations, they're practically rooting for you to fail. Rooting for you to break down. You always have to keep your guard up. But stay strong kid, keep fighting that fight. I know you will win."

She gave me a final squeeze and then let go.

I have one final look for her before I leave and I say, "I know I didn't seem very grateful, but thank you. Thank you for caring, thank you for listening, and most importantly, thank you for saving my life."

She smiles and responds, "I'll call you sometime and see how you're doing, okay?"

I nod. Just because she is going to call me doesn't mean I'm going to answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note

Here's another chapter. Please like and comment what you want to happen next. Do you want Sarah to accept Demi's help or not?

Thank you to everyone reading this! I love you all!

~LovatoFan~