Chapter 1

"I'm home!" I shouted, hoping my mom was home.

Silence.

Of course. No one's ever home.

I sighed, tossing my keys on the table and dropping my backpack on the floor.

The silence was something I was familiar with. It's been so long since my mom was home after school. Its so foreign to her now, she's always out and about. Jumping from one man to another.

Dad left when I was a baby. I have no memories. No photos or anything. I don't even know what he looks like. I don't remember, and it frustrates me.

I opened the fridge hoping that my mother went grocery shopping. No luck, of course. She never has time for that either. It's been take out for so long.

A buzz in my pocket caused me to jump up, gripping the upper part my left leg. It was just my phone. I sighed in relief and slid it out of my pocket.

Ryder, $20 on my night stand, won't be home tonight.

Great. Alone.

Again.

~

"Dude, you ready to fuck her up?" Preston's voice projected from the phone.

No.

"Hell yeah, man, I'm gonna fuck her up real bad." I lied.

I didn't want to hurt her. She didn't deserve it.

You already hurt her, you stupid ass.

I closed my eyes, flopping down on my bed.

"Good, she needs the reality check." I heard him chuckle.

"She's actually not that bad." I shrugged.

She really wasn't. Maybe if she put more chapstick on.. Come to think about it, her skin was pretty clean, and her eyes were pretty, and her h-

"Don't let Austin hear that man, he'll knock you dead." Preston interrupted. 

Austin. He ruins everything. 

"I know, Pres. Damn, I'm about to get into some pretty wicked shit, huh?" I stared up at the ceiling.

"You know it. Good luck, Ryd. Don't disappoint." Preston warned, before hanging up. 

Disappoint, ha.

I'm Ryder Anderson, I don't disappoint.

I don't know why Austin hated her so much. She had never done anything to him.

At least, I don't think he did. You can never be sure with Austin. He could be this one day, and that the next. 

I rubbed my forehead. This is going to be interesting.

~

I tapped my foot against the tiled floor, impatiently. I didn't know the answers to half these problems.

Shit, I should have studied.

I looked around the silent room. Everyone seemed so focused. How?

I can't even get past question 4. 

I picked up my pencil, twirling it around my index and middle finger. 

"Psst." I nudged Cindy Baker with my foot, "What's the answer to question 5?" 

She lifted her head up and glared at me.

"I don't give out answers to dicks." she scowled.

What? 

"What do you mean, dick?" I responded. I was a pretty nice guy.

I mean, sort of.

"You know what you did." 

And with that, she turned back to her paper, leaving me to stare at her perfectly tied up ponytail.

What the hell?

"Mr. Anderson..." I looked up to see the teacher burning her eyes through mine.

I gulped. 

"Do we have a problem?" she asked, moving her glasses down to where she could see me.

"Nope." I said, popping my p, and looking back down at my paper.

20 minutes past by and I had gotten through 10 of the 18 problems. Just as I circled my answer for question 11, the bell rang.

Crap. 

I sighed, and watched everyone get up, turning in their papers. I slowly stood up, making sure I emphasized the sound of my chair screeching against the floor. I picked up my paper, taking my time as I walked up to the teacher's desk, and carefully placing the paper in, lining it neatly with the others. I could feel my teacher's eyes on me as I did so. I let out a smirk and calmly walked towards the door, my footsteps slow and steady. That'll surely piss her off.

I laughed at myself. As started walking towards lunch, a dirty blonde braid caught my eye.

Bingo.

I quickly walked up to her, tapping her left shoulder as I stood on her right. She turned to her left, only to realize no one was there. She shrugged and kept walking.

"That was me." I piped up, a smile on my face.

She looked up at me and I watched her normal expression turn into an expression of hatred and hurt.  She sighed, and continued walking. 

"Hello? Hi. Yeah. There's a world outside your little fantasy land." she came to a halt, looking up at me once more, those sea blue eyes cold and empty. 

"You don't know me." she whispered, before turning around and heading the other direction.

Damn. Tough luck.