Lena was holding a book indecisively with one hand while trying to read the back of another book with her other free hand. Anna was sitting cross-legged on the floor with her head supported by a hand. She had a book on her lap. Anna smiled slightly when she saw me and gestured helplessly at Lena's back. She hasn't noticed me yet though. I nodded in understanding to Anna; Lena really was taking forever.

I pressed a finger to my lips and Anna's eyes widened as she understood. She nodded eagerly and covered her mouth with her hand to emphasize her point. I grinned mischievously and crouch-sneaked up behind Lena. I was actually surprised myself that she still hadn't heard me yet. I didn't even hear my own footsteps. My trainers should have at least made some sort of tapping or squeaking sound on the grey plastic-like floor. I straightened up and snapped my hands forward to quickly place them on Lena's shoulders and shake her. "Boo!" I yelled.

Lena screamed, dropped the book she was reading from and whirled around. It landed with a thud. Anna was doubling over with laughter and gasping for air. I joined in. I couldn't help it; Lena's face was just priceless. She had an expression of horror, fear and shock on her face. When she realized that it was just me and not some scary monster that came to life from her imagination, her cheeks flushed red and she glared at me angrily. She opened her mouth to say something to me, while I tried to look at her innocently. I had a feeling that instead of looking innocent, I looked like I just committed a crime. Lena was just about to go on a tirade about how I shouldn't scare her like that, when the librarian poked her head around the shelf with a stern look on her face.

"Ladies! What is going on here?" The librarian stepped forward with her hands on her hips. She had bright red lipstick with matching shoes. Her curly brown hair was arranged in fancy ringlets that bounced across her shoulders. I smiled a bit when I saw her. Ms Daller was the head librarian. I normally got along well with her because I would discuss interesting books with her and she seemed to like me, unless I caused a racket in the library with my friends. Like now. Heels clicked sharply on the floor as she stepped closer. Lena glared at me one last time and then turned to Ms Daller with a bright smile. I blinked. It was amazing how she could change her expression from I-really-want-to-kill-you-right-now to Oh-how-are-you with a snap of her fingers.

"How are you, Ms Daller? We were just talking about what books to borrow over the holidays," Lena said.

The librarian had a sceptical look on her face. I don't blame her. "Then what was that racket just now? I doubt that you were talking about books when I heard that scream."

Lena stuttered. "I—uhmm—we—". Anna got up in the meantime and walked over until she stood next to her sister, where she stood hugging her book to her chest. Anna was staring at the librarian with huge puppy-dog eyes. Even I cave to them sometimes and I'm not even her sister. Not that it would have been necessary in Ms Daller's case.

She sighed and tried to maintain a disapproving expression. "It's alright, Lena, dear. I know that you and Ruby here aren't troublemakers. Normally." She winked at us jokingly. "I'll let you off this time. You three know that you can just ask me if you need any help or bookish advice. I'm in my office at the back most of the time." Her face became serious again. "But please do remember that this is a library and should therefore be quiet. Others are here working, studying and reading. They can't do that with the three of you causing a ruckus here." With those words she gave us a quick smile and disappeared again. Before long, all I could hear were her heels clicking away until that sound faded away.

Lena, Anna and I let out a breath simultaneously. I didn't even realize that I had held my breath. Then I grinned and turned to Lena. "See? Ms Daller has likes me. That is the only reason she let us off the hook."