"I'll tell you what he's not doing. He's not relaxing like he's supposed to," Lorelai said, her phone held up to her ear. "He's left me several messages since we left the house, asking me for a list of things to repair. The man has gone cuckoo-bananas."

"He's obviously never heard of Saturday, the holy day of pre-rest. Not a religious man, that Luke," Rory said in mock-commiseration.

Lorelai checked her phone again, shaking her head. "Well, he's resorted to putting up Christmas lights. That should keep him busy for several hours."

"I never took Luke as a Christmas decorations kind of guy."

"That's because he's not. He must be desperate. Maybe I should go home and break something for him to fix."

Rory threaded her arm through her mother's, dragging her away. "No, come on. It's chocolate pie day at Weston's. And you know how I get about chocolate pie." Rory took one last look through the window, at the dark-haired man who had his back turned. At the same moment, Jess glanced over his shoulder and met her gaze. She lifted her hand in greeting; he tucked a pen behind his ear and flashed her a crooked grin.

"What was that about?" Lorelai asked as they sauntered off.

"Nothing."

"Nothing nothing or nothing something?"

"That has yet to be determined," Rory said even as she tried to keep the excited smile off her face. And failed. "Guess I'll find out after tonight."

That night, Rory arrived at Jess' door ten minutes before the agreed time. She looked down at her outfit, smoothing down the front of her shirt, before knocking on the door. Taking note of the darkness inside, she waited an entire minute before knocking again. But like before, there was no answer. The door, too, was locked.

Thoroughly confused, she headed back down the stairs. Her phone buzzed just as she'd reached the bottom step.

Where are you? said Jess' text.

Where are you? Rory typed back as she continued out the diner.

Here at your place.

She chuckled, making her way down the dark sidewalk towards her mother's house. I was waiting for you at yours.

"Guess we should just meet in the middle."

She looked up and found Jess walking towards her, a half-grin on his face. "I guess so." She tucked her phone away and smiled up at him, her skin tingling in anticipation.

"Hi," he said on a breath.

"Hi."

His eyes flicked down to her outfit, catching on what was under her jacket. "Nice shirt."

"Oh, this old thing?" she asked, looking down at the black The Distillers t-shirt that Jess had bought her at a concert all those years ago. "I haven't worn it in forever. It's a little more snug than it used to be."

"It looks great," he said, shooting her one last appreciative look. "So where to?"

"Come with me." She held out her hand and waited, holding her breath until the moment he slid his warm hand in hers. Then, side by side, she led him to the town square, up the path, and into the gazebo. They stood in the center, lights twinkling around them and casting a soft glow all around.

"You did this?" he asked, shadows playing on his face.

"Not exactly. They were from the wedding but Taylor decided to keep the lights up until after Christmas." She walked over to one of the benches and sat beside the basket she'd stashed there earlier. She laughed when his face registered horror, no doubt remembering the time he'd bought her basket and found nothing edible inside. "Don't worry. I didn't cook it," she added.