Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

In Governor Roosevelt's office, Teddy himself was reading our paper. Once finished, he folded in in half,  placed it on the desk, and hit it with his fist. "Disgraceful, Denty! Those poor boys!"

"I thought you'd feel this way, Governor." Denton agreed.

"And I did nothing...until now!" Roosevelt stood up and shook "Denty's" hand.

"Good, very good, sir."

-

Well, since Jack came back, I was second again and Blink went back to not being second. They were in the square, waiting for people to come. I was in Brooklyn with Spot, spreading the news and rallying.

"So when the others comon', kid?" Mush asked Blink.

"They ain't comin'. Ain't gonna be nobody but us." Jack replied for him. 

Les walked over to Jack and looked up at him. Jack haugged him with one arm, then walked away.

"Come on, Jack," PIe Eater said.

"Yeah, have hope, Jack." Dutchy agreed.

LES:

When the circulation bell starts ringin'

will we hear it?

RACE: Naw

What if the Delanceys come out swingin'

Will we hear it?

LES: NO!

RACE: Atta boy!

PEOPLE OF NYC:

Whe nyou got a million voices singin'

Who can hear a lousy whistle blow?

Blink pointed, "Look!"

There, in the streets of New york city, thousands of people, were singing our song and cheering and supporting us.

PEOPLE OF NYC:

And the World will know!!!

Spot and I were leading the Brooklyn newsies. We were all screaming "BROOKLYN!"

The World will feelthe fire and finally know!!!

Everyone was chanting "STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE!"

Race told Jack, "Dear me! What have we here?" Seitz was standing outside Pulitzer's office building.

-

"It's awful! Everyones' calling. Mr.Hearst, Mr. Benton, and the may and such awful language. The city's a standstill and they all blame the chief! It's like the end of the world! Oh dear, I didn't say that! Jonathan rambled frantically to Seitz when he reached Pulitzer's office with Jack and Davey.

"Extry, extry, Joe! Read all about it." Jack said, tossing a pape on the desk.

"I promised that if you defied me, I would break you." Pulitzer reminded, looking at it. "I'll keep that promise, boy. I gave you the chance to be free. I don't understand. Anyone who doesn't act in his own self-interest is a fool."

"What does that make you?" Davey piped up.

"What?" Pulitzer asked.

"This is my pal, David." Jack replied. "The walking mouth."

"You talk about self-interest, but since the strike your circulation has been down 70%. Everyday you're loosing thousands of dollars just to beat us out of one lousy tenth of a cent. Why?"