Darkness (short version)

Short version
Darkness and tall trees: that's all I saw ahead. I ran. I am not a fast runner, I knew I had to give it all I had. I turned my head around to see if it was behind me. I could see its sharp claws reflecting on the little light shining from the moon. Ahead I saw a faint light. It was small, but it was there, my chance to escape. I tried to run faster but my legs were burning. I looked behind me again. It was still there. When I whipped my head forward I tripped and fell. It was getting closer. The light was still there. It got closer and closer. It was now or never. I scrambled up to my feet and pushed myself to the limit. My heart was racing out of control. I tripped again, but I didn't fall. I got closer to the light. It called out my name in a deep, gravely voice. It was closer now, its voice changed. It wasn't deep or gravely anymore. Everything started shaking. The shaking got stronger and stronger. All of a sudden my eyes snapped open. I looked around and noticed I was on a plane. Next to me was my mom telling me we had landed.

            Everything came flooding back. It was Sunday, October 1, 2011. My mom informed me the Tuesday before that we were moving from Puerto Rico to South Dakota. I didn't even know it existed. Leaving behind everything I had ever known was difficult, and I was alone in a strange place. At twelve, I had never experienced discrimination, so the questions I was asked in school surprised me. What's with the accent? Do you eat rats? Have you ever seen a car before? I was just "the Puerto Rican girl". By the end of seventh grade I still had no friends. It was not until the eighth grade that I met Kenna, my best friend. I felt better knowing that someone in the state didn't mind my accent and accepted me for who I am.

            The summer between ninth and tenth grade I finally got to return to Puerto Rico. I saw my old friends, and was reminded of how I had to leave everything behind. This made me even more upset. By the end of the summer I fell into depression. My grades fell with me that year. I had to fight through it and get help, but I was able to get back up. Everything was going great. I had more friends like Kenna. Then it happened. My mom found a job in Mississippi, and in October 2015 we moved. Once again I had to leave everything behind. This second move was harder for me.

Adaptability and resilience are key for success. Those who are successful in life know that by learning from your experiences you become more adaptable, independent, and confident. Life will get difficult at times. Being able to adapt and adjust to a new environment is second nature to me now. The more I am able to overcome difficult situations, the stronger I become. During my many relocations, I have often faced the fear of the "unknown". I now embrace it and am looking forward to this new and exciting period in my life.