Chapter 50

Colby's POV

We won the AFC Championship game and we currently in Indianapolis for the Super Bowl. The game is tomorrow and we are all pretty nervous. This is the biggest game that most have us has ever played and it is crazy to being playing and having so many people watching us.

We all headed into the locker room. Everyone was talking about the job that they had to do. I sat down in front of my locker and started talking to TJ about the game. We were playing the Packers and they had looked good all season.

Once we were all ready we headed out onto the field to start warming up. The Packers' were already out there and we started to slowly warm up. There were already a lot of people in the stadium and that I was when I started to realise just how many people are watching.

We started running drills until we had to head back into the locker room.

"This is our chance. We need to go out there and show everyone what we can do," Coach called.

"Texans on three. I, 2, 3"

"Texans"

We all cheered before we headed back out into the tunnel and onto the field. The stadium was loud and there were supporters from both teams.

"Are you still bothered by our ribs?" Christian quietly asked.

When we were training together he knew how much pain I had been in. If we were the only ones in the locker room I would stretch out on the ground and ice my ribs. He wouldn't tell anyone else but he knew that I was in pain. I was going to play in this game even if it kills me.

The pain was getting less and less but it was still there. Christian and I would have a few serious conversations with my lying shirtless on the floor and him sitting there. We both talked about things that were on our mind and it was nice to talk to someone that knew what I was talking about.

We had both attended the NFL honours last night where he won Rookie of the Year and I had won Defensive Play of the Year again. We had to push that out of our mind and focus on the game.

"They are getting better but they are still annoying," I muttered.

He nodded before running off to join the offense as they started with the ball. TJ and I stood together on the side lines and we started to talk more about the game. The game was close and it was a good game but we never got close enough.

The game finished and all the Packers were celebrating. I pulled my helmet off and sat down on the ground. We all played well but we couldn't quite match the Packers. I couldn't believe how fucking close we had come.

I stood up and moved over to talk to Christian who looked gutted. I knew that he was going to blame himself for the loss but he played well. There wasn't much you could fault him on. We sat there in silence for a few minutes.

The last thing that I wanted to do was more media but I had to go do it. I wasn't going to be bitter but I was disappointed with the results. I headed back into the locker room and Christian was the only one in there.

He was sitting in front of his locker and his head was in his hands.

"You alright?" I asked.

"My Dad called me and told me that I was shitty and I'm never going to be able to do any better," he whispered.

I offered him a slight smile before stretching out on the floor.

"Our loss wasn't your fault," I told him.

"I know but when you here it over and over it is hard to remember that," he said.

"It's going to hurt for a few weeks but you will be able to move on," I told him.

He nodded and I headed out of the locker room. Christian told me that he was going to meet someone else and that I could go. I tried to protest but he told me to go. I knew that Clara was going to be waiting for me so I let it go.

Clara was waiting for me and she wrapped me in a tight hug.

"I'm sorry," she said.

"It wasn't your fault," I said.

"It wasn't your fault, either," she said.

We thought about heading out to dinner but I didn't want to see all the Packers' fans around after the win. We headed back to Clara's hotel and ordered room service. Clara ordered while I took another shower.

I don't know how long I stood under the water for. I let it run over me as I thought about the game. I played well but I will forever be wondering if it was good enough. Clara called out to me and I finally stepped out and my fingers had shrivelled.

"I thought that you had drowned," Clara said light-heartedly as I came back in.

I offered her a slight smile and ran my fingers through my now wet heart hair. Clara had left the TV off and we sat down on her bed and started to eat.

"Do you have to go back to the team hotel?" she asked.

"We don't have to. I might but I don't think I can be bothered moving," I said and I lay down.

She nodded and I finished eating not long later. I lay down and curled up beside her as she continued to eat. I drifted off to sleep beside her instead of headed back to the team hotel. I woke the next morning. Clara was already awake and she was reading beside me.

"Good morning," she said softly.

I smiled and slowly sat up and groaned.

"I should probably head back," I said.

She nodded and I kissed her softly. I pulled on my jacket and started walking. I was close enough to walk to my hotel. There were a couple of Packers fans that recognised me and laughed at me. I just ducked my head and started walking faster.

I headed into the room that I shared with TJ and I found him and Pip lying in bed, facing each other. They jumped apart when they heard me open the door and they both sat up to face me.

"How are you?" Piper asked kindly.

"I'm better after spending the night with Clara. It still hurts," I said.

TJ nodded and I decided to leave the couple alone. I found some of the other players downstairs and we headed to breakfast. We were all pretty silent, digesting last night's game. It was going to be a hard result to take. I was glad that Clara and I are going to be heading away from Houston for a while and go back to our hometown.

............................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One