Two

Two - "I've been busy"

"Shading," Nia hesitated as she glanced down at her art work, "is the worst thing in existence."

I laughed, pulling my bag up onto my shoulders and wiping my sweaty hands against my denim jeans before answering, "it's not that bad, you just have to know what you're doing."

"But I do know what I'm doing, it just doesn't work the way I want it to." At this, she sighed, closing her book and placing it into her bag before standing up from her chair that scraped across the floor.

We were the last ones in the art room, even Miss Neil had gone home and I was starting to think whether Luke was getting worried, since I wasn't out of school yet and he was so willing to pick me up.

"Can we just leave it, Luke is supposed to be picking me up today and I don't want him waiting any longer." I huffed, beginning to step over to the door.

Nia grunted and followed my steps in a slouch, exhaustion on her features, "why? You got work?"

"Yeah."

"That sucks man."

"Tell me about it," I smiled as we began to walk down the corridor, "but the kids normally sleep about ten minutes after I arrive."

We had exited the school now, and my eyes darted over the almost empty car park until I found Luke's black Porsche. Nia spotted it too and sighed heavily.

"I'll see you soon okay?"

"Of course," I laughed, hugging my best friend and then easing over to Luke's car, waving at Nia one last time before climbing into the passenger seat.

Luke didn't even glance up at me when I sat down, instead he was staring down at his phone, finishing off what looked like a text to my mother.

I reached down into my bag and pulled out my bottle of water, unscrewing the cap and taking a sip. But as refreshing as it was, the heat was still way too unbearable. Luke finally looked up from his phone a couple of minutes later, glancing down at the bottle of water in my hands.

"You want some?" I asked him, reaching my hand out to pass him the water. He just shook his head and waved it away with a flick of his wrist instead, I huffed, "rude."

Luke took one last glance, the corner of his lip tugging up in a smirk and he pulled his lip ring into his mouth. I watched him, watched how his plump pink lips seem to look so good and how whenever he bit it, sent a strange look to appear in his eyes when he's staring at me.

Just like the look he had in his eyes back when you were thirteen.

"I haven't been feeling too well princess, your mom hasn't been too well either." He tells me, his blue eyes rolling as he pulled out of the carpark and down one of the busiest roads down here in London.

A snort escaped my mouth and I reached up to cover it with my hands, trying to make it seem like I was coughing instead. Luke, unfortunately, knew what happened but ignored it, the smile still stretched across his face.

"How was school?" He finally asked me, dodging the conversation.

My shoulders shrugged nonchalantly and I sighed, "better than usual, I guess."

"You guess?"

"School isn't exactly the best place to be Luke." I laughed, picking my feet up and tucking my knees into my chest. I pulled out my phone and scrolled through my photos as I waited.

"Neither is work, sweetheart." His voice turned formal and I laughed, I hated it when he turned out like this, speaking motivational words about the real world outside of school.