Chapter 8

Chapter 8

(Claire's POV)

I groaned as I woke up to do another one of Toma's hunting lessons.

It had been three days and all he had me do was practice my stalking. I think that I've gotten considerably better though he seemed to pick out the smallest of flaws. It was pretty obvious that he was an expert. I sat up and gave myself a quick grooming. After the first few days I noticed that my fur was getting pretty scruffy so I decided to try it though it was a little awkward at first.

I walked down to the very grassy part of the area where Toma and I always met for practice. "You're early." I heard Toma say as he came out of the grass. "Guess I just didn't want to be prodded awake anymore." I replied which earned me a small chuckle. "Anyway; today we're doing something a little different." He said with a glint in his eye. I'd recognize that glint anywhere after the incident at the watering hole. "Uh oh," I gulped, "What are we doing today exactly?" I asked just knowing that I was going to regret this. "Claire, meet my Aunt Vitani."

I was aching at the end of the lesson. It was like torture. Vitani, Toma's aunt, was tough. I could see why he'd pick her to help train me. She was a dark tan lioness with some freckles and bangs. She also always had her claws out. It could make any animal run away with fear. She had made me sharpen my claws on rocks and had me do strength exercises that would make any weightlifter seem weak. She turned to Toma and smiled, "She'll make a great hunter once she gets the basics down. Why don't we talk in private, Claire, you're free to go." She said while turning away from me and walking away with Toma.

"Thank you." I sighed in an exasperated whisper. I had stretched a little to prevent some of the soreness that I knew would come in the morning. I couldn't help but wonder what Vitani wanted to talk with Toma about. I knew it had something to do with me, at the moment though I was too tired to even think so I fell into a restful sleep.