Chapter 4

Chapter 4-

(Claire's POV)

The younger male, probably just out of his adolescence, that I had seen with what was probably the leader came out and motioned for me to follow him. I had been scared stiff with the thoughts of what they were going to do with me. I followed him out of the cave and back into the sun.

When he stopped and turned around I did the same. I was very nervous.

"Look," he said, "Dad just told me that I was going to be your guardian for the next two weeks, so let's get a few things straight. First, you're going to have to show respect to my dad and the other lionesses and probably do more than a few favors for them." I nodded, got that part, "Second, you have to follow direct orders from dad, he's king of the Pridelands." Okay sure pal, got that to. "Third, you don't go anywhere without permission or me as an escort." Sounds easy enough, "And fourth, try not to get in the way of the other animals, they get aggressive around rouges." Yippee, I'm in the very heart of the danger zone. "Oh and by the way, call me Toma." He said, finishing his instructions.

Toma, it was a nice name. It seemed to fit him in an odd sort of sense. He had chocolate brown fur, a dark brown silky looking mane, and amber-orange eyes, and a light tan underbelly. 'He looks very handsome.' I thought, but when I realized what I was thinking I would've blushed a bright pink color. "So what do you want me to do?" I asked him. "Right now we're going to eat." He said in a sort of matter-of-fact sort of way. "Alrighty then." I said, "What's for dinner?" "Gazelle" He stated. I froze at that thought. I completely forgot that I had to eat raw meat. I gulped and wanted to see if there were carrots or a stove or something around here besides raw meat, but I knew there was no way possible. So I just followed Toma to the bottom of the rock were a dead gazelle and about seven hungry lions were gulping it down in huge bites. I wanted to go and throw up, but decided I'd just have to make due for now.

Toma caught me looking at the gazelle and gave me a funny look, like he was reading my told me I had to wait till the others were done first until I could get my share. I didn't mind that one bit.

After Toma and the rest of the lions were done and heading into the cave I went up to see what was left. There were a few scraps left on the bones. I took a deep breath and pulled some off and began to chew and swallow it.

It wasn't bad at all, in fact, it tasted a lot like beef in an odd sort of way. I began to search for every scrap I could find left to calm down my stomach that was starting to have a very empty feeling.

After I was done I walked back up to the cave. I found Toma watching in the entrance watching the stars. I walked up to him and cleared my throat which startled him. "Oh, hi Claire. Had a good dinner?" He asked. "It was delicious." I answered him, "What are you doing?" "Looking at the great kings of the past." He said. "Who?" I asked him. "They are my ancestors. All of which were the king of the Pridelands at some point." He said, "My grandfather told my parents about them just like his father told him, and so on." I stared at him as he continued to watch the stars. "That's cool." I said after awhile just to break the silence. "Yeah, it is. I better get inside now. You're going to have to sleep somewhere outside the cave tonight." He said as he stood up, most likely to go into the cave, "I'll show you around the Pridelands in the morning." He said, "Goodnight." "'Night" I said yawning. I've been through a lot today. I wonder if my parents are wondering where in the world I am.