Chapter 12

"You touch me one more time and I'll punch your pretty little face in." I threatened to Neil Sommers; he was my escort to the debutante ball. I had been planning on asking Adam but since he'll be playing in the state championship game at the same time it wouldn't work. Neil's mom was very close to mine so my mom asked him behind my back and now I was stuck with the guy who thought I liked him.

"Oh come on Susanna you know you like me." I wrinkled my nose as he called me by my first name.

"Please Neil I have a boyfriend and I wouldn't like you even if I didn't."

"Oh right Banks."

"Adam." I muttered, what's with everyone calling Adam by some form of nickname? Even the Ducks do it, Banks, cake-eater, Banksie. I swear I'm the only one besides his family that calls him Adam and that's pushing it. For the most part Mr. Banks just calls him son.

"Susanna, Neil it's your turn." Mrs. Flower, the head of the ball, called out. I sighed reluctantly looping my arm through Neil's as we walked up on stage. It was the night before the ball and we were having a rehearsal, luckily we didn't have to wear dresses that was only for tomorrow night. I fake smiled as Neil and I walked down the stage, the bright stage light nearly blinding me. We turned and walked by disappearing behind the curtains.

I pushed Neil away from me heading off to the dressing rooms where the girls sat as they waited their turn. I walked towards Tracy who was sitting on a chair at a mirror fixing her hair.

"Hey stranger." She called not even looking up as I slumped down beside her in the next chair.

"What's wrong?" She asked giving me her full attention seeing my sulky attitude.

"Neil Sommers." I muttered darkly crossing my arms over my chest, relaxing comfortably in my sweats and a long sleeve shirt. Very underdressed compared to everyone else. She smirked leaning back in her chair.

"Oh yeah, little moron isn't he? Let me guess he keeps hitting on you thinking you like him?" I nodded as she laughed.

"He's done the same to me for the past five years. You get use to it." I sighed leaning back into my chair rubbing my temples tiredly.

"Hey want to head back?" We had driven together in my car; oddly enough we had become close just like when we were children, what's with us? I nodded as we grabbed our things bid goodbye to everyone and hurried to my car before they changed their minds.

"I hate your radio station." She complained as she flipped through the stations. I was driving slowly being mindful of the ice and snow on the streets. I playfully rolled my eyes.

"Fine you can change it to your girly pop stations." She smiled gleefully as a Backstreet Boy song came on. I resisted the urge to bash my head against my steering wheel. School came up soon enough as I pulled into the nearest parking lot, we would have to walk awhile before getting to our dorm.

"It's snowing!" Tracy called spinning in a little circle as we walked. I laughed at her.

"You sure are weird." She rolled her eyes sticking her tongue out at me.

"This coming from the girl that is as tough as guys." I mock glared at her.

"Hey at least if I get in a fight I can defend myself." She snorted.

"Yeah but no one's going to fight with you."

"Because I can defend myself." I argued back as she giggled playfully shoving me.

"Ok no more arguments for tonight?" I nodded smiling as we continued on through the dark campus. We walked in silence before coming upon…the Ducks. They were all together, laughing and whatnot. Even in the dark I could see them all having their skates and hockey sticks. Seems they are all sneaking out to go play probably at the pond. They stopped in front of us eyeing us wearily.